how to remove carb on a 1988 evinrude 15hp

SRJag

Recruit
hi im new to the forum but i bought a 1988 Evinrude 15hp rope start outboard engine(e15rccs) anyways long story short the carb cover is cracked and i been able to buy a new one that i want to replace myself..i was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to give me a step by step instruction on how to do it or some hints and tips..thanks in advance:)

kybill66

Cadet
Re: how to remove carb on a 1988 evinrude 15hp

first you have to pull the rewind out but you want to hold the cup and plastic gear all together when you do this and pull all out together even the bolt and then you put a nut on the bolt to hold it all together while you work on the carb. I fogot the little metal clip on the rewind pull that out it makes it alot easier to pull the rewind out of the way to work on the carb.

Rick.

Captain

Step by step isn't going to happen. Get yourself a manual but even the manual doesn't give everything step by step. As stated the recoil does have to come off and then it is fairly straight forward from there. Take a few digital pictures of the linkage and whatever so you have something to use as a tool when putting it back together. Best of luck. Rick.

iwombat

Captain

I think it's a lot easier to unbolt the recoil, and tape it over to the side out of the way than to remove it entirely. If you're just needing to remove the carb you just need to get the top of it out of the way. You can keep the bottom resting where it is.

SRJag

Recruit

thank you guys for the amazingly fast replies:) REALLY appreciated..im gonna get started on the thing this week and ill let u guys know what happens

Cornell

Cadet

hi im new to the forum but i bought a 1988 Evinrude 15hp rope start outboard engine(e15rccs) anyways long story short the carb cover is cracked and i been able to buy a new one that i want to replace myself..i was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to give me a step by step instruction on how to do it or some hints and tips..thanks in advance:)

Someone was good enough to send me this link that should help you with this motor. I am doing mine as well and have the same motor. Feel free to email me. Here is link; www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/OMC/OMC info.htm
Cornell thecruiseguy@comcast.net