Steering cables

wa_ssv197

Petty Officer 1st Class
The steering cables on my boat were replaced about 5 years ago. The boat hasn't been used in the last two years and as a result one of the steering cables is pretty tight. What is the best ways of freeing it up?

We have tried WD40 and turning the wheel for about 30 min. It helps but there has to be an easier way. We know its the cables because we disconnected the cables from the motor and the motor turns freely.
One of the steering cables is dirty when we spray it with WD40.

Thanks

wa_ssv197

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Steering cables

good question...

It has two cables housed in black, on the wheel end there are two square tubes behind the wheel and on the motor end they are connected to the motor via a linkage rod.

It has two of the center one, both routed the same way.

ss152_0.gif

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

looks to be double R&P system. Normally they corrode into the tilt tubes or cable guides. if they can be turned all the way out, can you clean them with a solvent and then regrease?

wa_ssv197

Petty Officer 1st Class

They can be turned all the way in both directions.

We sprayed wd40 and turned for several minutes, what do you grease them with and where?

I was thinking of using silicone spray.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Use some acetone or other solvent to get them real clean. Get all the dirt and old grease off of them.

The best lube is Quicksilver special lube 101. However, if you keep after it any decent grease will also work.

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class

At least with my steering cable problems, no amount of greasing would have helped.

The steering cable wire that does the business runs in a stationary a plastic sheath. The sheath has steel cables wrapped around it to form a armour layer. There is an outer plastic cover to seal all of this. However, over time, water can migrate past the outer cover. The steel wrapping can rust. The rust expands and forces the sheath against the cable wire. This clamps the steering wire much as a disk brake.
the only solution is to replace.