Cooling problem 5 hp Buccaneer

bassdog

Recruit
I have just replaced the impeller on my Buccaneer and have run it in a tank about three or four times but can't see where any water comes out.I took it apart again to make sure it was right and everything looked ok.The inlet tube is clear and I poked a wire up through the tube above the impeller until it hits a joint then it hits solid.If the tube is blocked above this point,do I have to take the motor apart at the power head to acess the upper portion of the water tube? Should the water come out the slits on the back of the housing or does it come out someplace else, such as a mist with the exaust? The motor gets a little hot but not extremly.The left side of the motor gets hotter than the right.I'm thinking about trying it on the lake because somewhere on this forum I read where running them in a barrel doesn't allow proper water intake. Any information would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!... I'm new to this forum and just realized I posted this in wrong catagory.Hope someone can help.

Last edited:

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Cooling problem 5 hp Buccaneer

If there is no obstruction in the cooling system, water will exit through the slits on the back of the housing. Try it in the lake with the leg well submerged to be sure. If it's not better than in the barrel, pull the LU off and plumb a water hose to the end of the water tube that goes into the powerhead, run some water into it and make sure it's flowing good. If not, there may be an obstruction...which is dicey to investigate, the bolts holding the water jacket(s) on like to break when you try to remove them. If it flows good, recheck your pump and impeller. They won't pump well in a barrel/tub unless you have the leg 3/4 covered by water and the water inlets are clear...check those on the LU, too. It will get messy running in a barrel. If all is good, you should be able to touch the water jackets on the side of the cylinders when it's running...any hotter than that and something is amiss and the cooling systems needs to be checked.

bassdog

Recruit

Thanks for the reply Commander.I took the motor out for a run on the lake yesterday and there is very little water comming out of the slits.The motor ran very good but the left side of the motor gets to hot to touch.The right side stays cool.I will have to take it apart again to work on.I was wondering if it would hurt if I used a powerwasher to shoot up the tube to clear the obstruction,or should I just take it apart at the power head for acess to the upper portion of the tube.I'm pretty sure the tube is blocked somewhere.I put the impeller going clockwise,could there be something I'm missing here in the pump section? Thanks again for your help.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Try to flush the water jackets with plain old water and a hose...sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. Problem with removing the water jacket covers is breaking the bolts off...very common, not an easy fix. Guess you could use a powerwasher if you don't get really crazy with the pressure. Might try some hard water/corrosion cleaner...like CLR, pump it up into the jackets, let it sit overnight and keep flushing it. If you get stuck with removing the water jacket covers, use some penetrating oil and let them soak for awhile. Use an impact driver to try and loosen them...light taps going in both directions, then more oil. You have to get the oil down into the threads. Good luck.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Try to flush the water jackets with plain old water and a hose...sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. Problem with removing the water jacket covers is breaking the bolts off...very common, not an easy fix. Guess you could use a powerwasher if you don't get really crazy with the pressure. Might try some hard water/corrosion cleaner...like CLR, pump it up into the jackets, let it sit overnight and keep flushing it. If you get stuck with removing the water jacket covers, use some penetrating oil and let them soak for awhile. Use an impact driver to try and loosen them...light taps going in both directions, then more oil. You have to get the oil down into the threads. Good luck.

bassdog, let's backup and first establish what you are working on. Is it the one with a neutral clutch, or the one with a full FNR gear shift, or the straight drive one?

It is not possible to run a wire up through the water tube very far, so you are looking in the wrong place with a wrong diagnostic procedure.

DO NOT!!!! remove the side covers. They are extremely hard if not impossible to reseal. In fact, the service manual says you have to send the powerhead back to the factory for resealing. Of course the factory is gone now.

It is NORMAL for the one side to get hot. The hot side it the exhaust cover. There is fire on the other side of that cover, so of course it gets hot.

Normal condition is a slobber out the slots at all speeds. If it is doing that, it probably is just fine.

bassdog

Recruit

FR...You made my Day! There is a slober of water coming out of the slits.I took the power head off today and blew air through the tube and through the water jackets and there was no blockage of any kind.I also took the lower unit off for the third time to check it out.I put it all back together and it ran with the same results.A slober of water coming out of the slits and a little hot on the exaust side.I can touch it quickly with my fingers and it doesn't burn but of course if I leave them in contact they will burn.I think as you say this must be normal for this motor.I was expecting a stream of water to shoot out the slits,but when all I could see was a slober I thought it wasn't circulating water therefore causing my dilema.I purchased this Gale Buccaneer at a flea market for fifty dollars.This is my first outboard project and I'm pleased with the way it runs.I've replaced the impeller, coils,points,Plugs and cleaned and adjusted the carb. With all the parts I think there will be about $130.00 dollars invested.If you count my labor I would go broke.My next project is a 46 Elgin so I know I will be asking for more help.You guys have all been great help and I thank you!!!:D