Trim Cylinders for 1977 Starcraft Mercruiser 140

swihartart

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello All,
My trim cylinders have about had it. Patched, patched and patched again. One is now leaking again (stupid sand bar). I've done the ebay thing and craigslist etc. These things are waaaaaay too expensive. Anywhere from $150 and up for used ones, we all know what new ones cost. I've also seen the rebuild kits for about $100, tube o-rings etc. The kits I've seen don't appear to have threads on the tube. (??????)

So here's the questions:
How hard is rebuilding one, is it worth the time, money and effort?
Bite the bullet and spend the money?
Just keep on patching?
Are there any good hidden resources for picking one or two up cheap?
Can I use a different cylinder other than pre alpha if I get the right hoses?
It has the old style prestolite pump with the square reservoir.

Thanks for the advice, and yes I know, they aren't cheap to own, I'm just trying to stay a boater within my limited budget.
Sean

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trim Cylinders for 1977 Starcraft Mercruiser 140

Your cheapest way would probably be to rebuild them unless you can find some cheaper.If you do find some used they may not be any better than yours.The tube in the rebuild kit is a inner sleeve that goes into your outer case.There are no threads on it.That's the cylinder the piston rides in.Their really quite simple to rebuild especially if you have a manual. After installing one of those kits it should be as good as new.Nothing wrong with those Prestolite pumps.There's a lot of them out there.I'm using one with no problems.The only other thing I could tell you is bite the bullet!!

swihartart

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Jim.
I think I'll rebuild. I really enjoy fixing things but being a new boat owner, (new old boat owner. first one) I'm learning that a boat is gonna challenge a jack of all trades just fine.
There's no replacing the feeling of freedom though after the first drive with the family.

I'm assuming they send a new plunger that fits the new diameter after inserting the sleeve.
It sounds like a much better alternative to my first idea which was to weld the sleeve I have.
Thanks again.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

if it is leaking on the outer portion of the cylinder, i.e. a hole due to corrosion, a rebuilt kit will do no good.

if it is the seals that the ram passes through, then it will be what you are lookign for.

in my experience, it is better to just replace the entire cylinder, expensive yeah but headache free.

fishrdan

Admiral

Keep your eyes on Ebay. I bought an old style (1 drive) trim cylinder in very good condition for $25,,, was 2-3 months ago though.