New Tilt Motor

AlyEli2

Cadet
Hi everybody I have a stupid question to ask. I just bought a new tilt motor and it comes with the motor and a new reservoir, now do I need to put oil in the reservoir or does it come already with oil in it? If I do what kind of oil? I read in my manual that I should put non detergent 30-weight automotive engine oil. Does that mean 10w-30 oil? I just want to make sure before I install it and mess it up. Thank you for you time and help.

Mark

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: New Tilt Motor

Yes you need to top it off with straight 30 weight oil. Not 10W-30.

AlyEli2

Cadet

Do I get that oil at an Autozone or do I need to go to a boat dealer or something? And just a question what does it mean straight 30 weight?

walk-on

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just finished the same job on my '95 Force 90hp. The reservoir comes empty and my manual stated that I should put QuickSilver Power Trim and Steering fluid in it. I picked up a small bottle at Gander Mountain for a couple bucks. I filled it, capped it, then ran through the trim several times and topped it off.

foodfisher

Captain

30 wt nondetergent. Ask the guy at the counter. Some auto parts stores still have it. Some don't. PS , you should match what's already in your system, (the rams and lines)

RRitt

Captain

30 wt nondetergent. Ask the guy at the counter. Some auto parts stores still have it. Some don't. PS , you should match what's already in your system, (the rams and lines)

I thought he said he had a 1995. 30w isn't right for 1995. It should be either hydraulic oil or ATF depending on what's there already. If system has been drained and flushed then hydraulic oil is always best. System will have 2x lifespan just by using hydraulic oil instead of cheap ATF. If you can't find hydraulic oil in less than 5 gal buckets then go to autozone and buy a quart of jack oil for floor jacks.

the 30w is needed for 1988 through 1992 prestolites because thinner oils can cause system to buck. 1987 and earlier can use thinner oil but it takes less brainpower to tell everyone 30w and ... as long as its non-detergent ... it works just fine.

AlyEli2

Cadet

I don't know for sure what's in the rams and the lines, so do I need to flush the old stuff out and then put the new stuff in? I'm pretty sure I have to do that huh? If so, how do I flush it out? I don't have to the new motor in there, I took it all off, so do I use air to flush it out or what would ya'll suggest? Thank again for ya'lls time and advice, it helps a lot trust me.

Mark

RRitt

Captain

what year is it and what color was old fluid? There is still fluid in the rams and you need to match it.

AlyEli2

Cadet

I have 1984 skeeter with a 1985 85hp force motor, the color of it is black, well a light black.

RRitt

Captain

I have 1984 skeeter with a 1985 85hp force motor, the color of it is black, well a light black.

best fluid for 1985 85HP 3w trim is hydraulic oil. The kind they would use in industrial hydraulics like catepillars, bulldozers, bucket trucks, etc is best. If you can't get that then buy a quart of jack oil from auto-boys.

If your trim is original then it is 3w system. However, if your trim was added later on then it might be a 2wire system. Don't use hydraulic oil if you have a 2wire system. Use ND30 motor oil with 2wire. Hydraulic oil doesn't have enough resistance for the 2w valve body and the engine has tendency to bounce when lowering.

AlyEli2

Cadet

My trim has 3 wires. I just bought ND straight 30 weight oil from Autozone, that's what my manual said but I want to get the best stuff for it so I will get the hydraulic oil. Is there a certain kind of hydraulic oil I need? I mean like number wise, you know like regular oil (10w-40), does hydraulic oil have something like that sir?

Mark

RRitt

Captain

the best stuff will indicate that it is formulated to make seals last longer. the worst stuff will say that it has additives to keep your engine clean.