OMC Stringer Electric Shift questions

javajesus

Seaman Apprentice
Continuing on the battle with my 77 electric shift unit on my OMC stringer. I replaced the lower unit with another that the "guy" said is working. My queston is this, when hooking up the shift wires, how do I know which wire is forward on the lower unit? I have identified the wires coming from the boat, just unsure of the lower unit. Also, is there an easy way to test it all once it is hooked up? I tried key on and shift into forward, but no click and no resistance at the prop. Any help would be great.

KRH1326

Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Stringer Electric Shift questions

If you have mounted it, double check that the ground cable is intact and has good connections. See if you have voltage from the forward or reverse wire from the boat to ground (while you are in forward or reverse).

If you have voltage at that wire AND a perfect ground- I would think that something is amiss from the connection down to the lower unit.

If you cannot get any voltage to the boat side wires ( forward and/or reverse) You will have to start tracing back up into the boat.

If you haven't mounted it, I would stand it up next to a battery, ground the negative post to a real good shiny metal spot on the unit, and touch the forward wire to the positive post. Listen for it to "shift", feel the prop. Try the same with reverse wire.

I am colorblind with blues and greens, so I have to identify them trial and error but you can....

Check wiring diagram...
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309093

BLDFW

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There's a simpler way....which is what I did on mine because I didn't mark the two lines when I removed my outdrive to replace the impeller and seals. I reconnected only one plug and while at lowest idling rpm, simply put it in forward and reverse gear. It was a 50/50 chance I'd have it right. In my case I had it right so I only had to plug the other wire in. If I hadn't gotten it right, I'd still know how to hook it up.

Easy as pie!

BLDFW

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh.....and make sure you do this while the outdrive is in water, be it a bucket or in the lake. You don't want to burn out the impeller by running it dry.

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

Green is forward and blue is reverse. Just remember 'green means GO'. :D

javajesus

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. The wires from the boat were marked with a green and blue tag, but the wires themselves were just black, wich caused my confusion. I took a chance and hooked them up, figuring I had a 50/50 chance. Well, got it right. I fired it up (with hose connected) and at first it did not engage forward, but it did after a couple of tries. After that, it was every time. I am going to try to get it into the water in the next day or so for a load test. Now the real fun begins, rebuilding the other lower unit.