1995 VIP Vision 1760 vibration/prop

jboot2616

Recruit
I have recently purchased a '95 Vision. However, I bought it just before the winter and was not able to take it out on the water. This spring when I took it out I noticed quite a bit of vibration when the drive is engaged and we are cruizing. The other thing is the steering, it is really hard to turn sometimes. Third, when cruising the boat leans to the left. Oh, one more thing. A guy is trying to sell me a High 5 prop 23 pitch.

Can anyone help?

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1995 VIP Vision 1760 vibration/prop

For starters, I wouldn't worry about the high 5 prop. You have bigger problems at the moment. Sounds like you need to troubleshoot your steering system. You'll need to find the shop manual for your engine and drive if you want to to that yourself. Once you know that, there's some engine specific forums that should be able to help.

The listing to one side I'm going to assume is steering related at the moment until you follow up on that. Once you are sure the steering system is tip top, and it still veers, you may have water in the hull or something throwing off the weight.

I'm not sure about the vibration - again people will need to know the year, make and model of your engine. Is it hard to get into gear or hard to find neutral?

jboot2616

Recruit

Thank you for helping me out, I really appreciate your knowledge. I am sticking to the original prop until I can get this figured out.

Where would be the best place to find a shop manual for this model? The engine is a Mercruiser 3.0L with an Alpha One outdrive.

As far as the vibration, I thought is might be a bearing.

You are correct, the steering/listing situation is what I should settle first.

I adjusted the little fin (I know this has a name but can't think of it) that sits above the prop. That helped a little, but very little. As I was doing this I noticed a slight bend is the main fin (again another name I am not sure of). I was wondering how this might affect it. As I was boating yesterday, I noticed that the fast I go the more it wants to list.

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Oh, if the rudder is bent, that could definitely be causing listing. I'd need to see pictures to see how bad it is.

Here's some pointers to some info which may help:

The iBoats Engine FAQ: http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Links to a lot of great "Adult" information here (procedures, manuals, etc): http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

You may find your Mercruiser and Alpha manuals above, or at least get closer to finding them.

If you start delving more into the technicals of your problems, it may be appropriate to post in the Mercruiser/OMC/IO forum - there's more action in the there and lots of knowledgeable people.

jboot2616

Recruit

OK give me a couple of days and I will get you some pictures. The bend is slight so it may be hard to tell, but I am sure it will help answer some questions.

I will check out the other forums. Thank you for your help!