Transom moisture meter wet readings

kloobs2305

Cadet
My boat is a 1988 27 ft SeaRay Sundancer twin I/O configuration. A buyer recently surveyed it and it flunked. Moisture meter readings of 15-20% at the lower center of the transom on the inside and 15-17% on the lower center of the transom on the outside. Stringer readings of 10-15%. All other readings 10% or less. Since the "wet zone" readings of 20% were limited to a certain area and the wood does not feel soft or spongy I am hopeful that we can fix with CPES or something similar. Would appreciate any comments as to next steps.

Thanks

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Transom moisture meter wet readings

Its worth some money so worth doing some work, I don't think cpes will do the trick, theres just no way to get the moisture out, unless you want to try with a vac pump.
By the time you get through playin around with it you could have fixed it.

I wouldn't trust a meter either, verify by drilling test holes and examine the chips.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/moisture_meters.htm

drewpster

Commander

Did the surveyor mark the perimeter of the wet areas?
If so start there. You are going to need to drill some test holes to find out exactly how extensive the wet areas are. The next step will be determined by how wet or rotten the test plugs are.
CPES will displace some water, but it wont work with soaked wood.
How big are the areas that tested wet?

boatpoker

Seaman Apprentice

Moisture meters do not measure moisture, they measure capacitance. Any surveyor that tells you a percentage of moisture does not know what he is talking about. The plywood in your transom left the factory with 15-18 % moisture to begin with. For more information on moisture meter use and misuse on boats check out this link
http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/moisture meter myths hamilton.htm

jonesg

Admiral

the surveyor was in the buyers pocket.
I'd have my own done.

drewpster

Commander

Guess I wrote too soon. Good info guys! This may not be a problem after all. Seems a second opinion is in order. Sounds as though being a marine surveyor is a good racket to be in.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe I shouldn't say this under the rules, but in someone's pocket sounds like he could be a politician in addition to a surveyor.

kloobs2305

Cadet

Thanks for the feedback.

Next step is to drill out some cores. Regarding size, it is directly in the middle of the transom, just below the swim platform about 2-3 ft in width, and looks to go about a foot in either direction. The meter trails off dramatically as you move to the sides from the middle, going from 20% to 10%.

I am suspicious of the mounting of the swim platform center support as well as the sealing around the I/O housing.

Thanks for the link on meters.

jonesg

Admiral

Those two areas are always suspect, especially if you added something to the transom yourself and aren't familiar with bedding fasteners.

There was a guy on here 3 weeks back who pulled his outdrive and dried his transom opening then reglassed it after grinding out the damp stuff.

If the opening is real wet and soft then you can cut it back and do a composite pourable around the opening with seacast. That would actually ADD value to the boat.