Humminbird 718-Shuts off by its self-WHY?

kellerqx

Seaman Apprentice
Just got a new HB 718, during the first trip it was shutting off after 10 ~ 30 seconds. But after continuous turning back on it stay on for 30~45mins until I was finished playing around. I noticed that it would shutoff everytime I turned on the bilge pump.e

Used it again today and it continued to have problems staying on.

One thing I did notice is that it will run in SIMULATION mode and not turn off.

The only theory at this time is that during use the transducer it draws more current. Is it possible my 12v Marine battery cant supply the current or voltage. Is it possible I would need a battery just for it?

Is it possible the angle of the transducer is not parrell enough to the ground and this causes it shuts off?

I have not had any issues with this battery running the trolling motor or starting the motor ( 25hp outboard ).

Thanks for the help

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Humminbird 718-Shuts off by its self-WHY?

I suspect it is how/where you are tieing into power. It sounds like it may be on the same leg as the bilge pump. No way should a bilge pump create a larger voltage drop than engine starter or trolling motor. You can run the FF power temp direct to battery to see if it is a distribution issue.

Splat

Lieutenant

Agreed, perhaps a loose termination lug, or a bad butt splice connector. Could even be corroded contacts on the ground, or better yet if your FF is removable, the contacts where it plugs into the base can be suspect.

Bill

kellerqx

Seaman Apprentice

OK, I will investigate. Any idea if the current/voltage used would be different if the transducer is being used? Like I stated, it doesnt shut off during the SIMULATION mode.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes. You use a lot more power when powering the Xducer than in simulator mode.

All of the symptoms indicate a drop in the voltage at the unit to below minimum. Clean up the wiring and wire the SONAR direct to the battery.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Yep. I agree. Voltage is dropping too much. Wire as indicated and problem will be solved.

kellerqx

Seaman Apprentice

ok, thanks for the advice, I will try to improve the wiring situation, but I have a question.

My boat is 14' Smokercraft, I have only one battery which has 3 cables that are hooked to the battery. Of course one is the electric for the outboard motor and the other two control several others items ( bilge/live well pump/lights and trolling motor ). When I breakout the FF and run direct will this be a problem?

Is there a better way to improve/reduce the connections with some type of terminal box? Which would then reduce the battery connections to only 1 and have everything running to the terminal box. I think the look of 4 cables running to the battery will be not a good look even if it is functional, dont like the halfas* look. Please advise if possible.

john from md

Commander

One thing I would do is get a separate battery for the trolling motor. That would take one set of wires off the main battery.

John

kellerqx

Seaman Apprentice

So would it be true to say..... everyone that has a trolling motor and FF has two batteries? Do both need to be Marine ( deep cell ) batteries?

kellerqx

Seaman Apprentice

I guess it could be possible that my current battery is too old to run two things? What would be the life expectancy of a marine battery? I know my civic battery ran 8 yrs., this marine battery is only a couple years old.