testing for spark

gjm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can I test for spark at the spark plugs with a OHMS meter? If I can, what setting, DC-V or DC-A or AC-V or the upside down horse shoe, what I think it means OHMS. I do not have a spark tester, my trany went out on my truck, so I won't be getting one anytime soon. I'm a parapelegic, getting around is a project in it self. Thanks

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: testing for spark

No you cannot test for spark with a meter set on OHMS. It will fry the meter. Ohms is used to measure resistance, not voltage.

Spark plug voltage is in the neighborhood of 20,000 to 30,000 volts. Unless you have a very specialized meter, most of them cannot measure this type of voltage. Best way to test spark is to get a spark plug tester, or hold the spark plug wire about an 1/8 of an inch away from the metal end of the spark plug and observe the color of the spark. Yellow or orange color means weak spark. Blue or white spark is good strong spark. Be aware, you're dealing with 20 to 30 thousand volts. If the spark plug wires are old, you may have a shocking experience.