74 Glastron V178

Quagmire

Recruit
Well I bought her a few years back and drove it for a season then it sat for about 2 years I decided recently to resurrect its glory :eek: probably not the best Idea I have ever had, but might as well give it a shot.
Picture078.jpg

It has a "Tower of Power" 115 mercury and it ran good when I parked it I ran through the carbs and have yet to reinstall. Anyhow I needed to replace the seats and the previous owner had put 3/4 over the fiberglassed plywood which caused more rot problems. As of right now I am getting ready pull the motor off and remove the cap so I can rip out the floor the rest of the way. It is looking like I need to replace the stringers and possibly the transom.

redfury

Commander
Re: 74 Glastron V175

Re: 74 Glastron V175

The more Glastron resto's the better! Jcsercsa has a great resto on the same boat essentially. If you haven't read it, his thread is here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=231007

I'm knee deep in the middle of mine and am finally making forward progress.

First thing I can tell you is that you want to make sure that the boat is supported on the trailer by bunks, or you will want to support it in a fashion that doesn't allow the lower part of the hull to flex. It's an issue I have to deal with a little bit as I just ripped into this thing before I put it on the double bunk trailer it is on now.

As Reagan said "trust, but verify" If you let the hull distort, it will stay that way if you glass in new stringers without making sure it is "true" and you will have performance problems once the boat is done, and then you'll really be kicking yourself for tackling the project foolishly.