Found the bottom of river, a little help please!

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I found the bottom of the river yesterday and distroyed my prop. I would like a list of things to check for damage. I have a 3.7L 224 cid Mercruiser with a Alpha One stern drive. The drive shaft seems to be streight and has no damage, the prop took the worst of it! The skeg, cavataion plates and lower unit seen fine. I didnt know if anything else would be at risk of damage in this situation ie.. Engine parts.

Thanks for any suggestions.

SeanMcl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Found the bottom of river, a little help please!

That's why you run an aluminum prop, right there. It gives out before the drivetrain does. No need to keep looking for damage, there probably isn't any.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I run a composit prop so it took the blades and possibly spun the hub, but worked the way it was supposed to. I ask because it was a good hit, I was pulling a wakeboarder out of the water so it had some power behind it when I hit. I didnt know if it would have caused any issues with any bearings or linkage for the drive. I put my back-up aluminum prop back on and run ok for the rest of the day but I like to doubles check these thing. I gess the good thing is if the hub isnt spun it will only cost 50 bucks to get the prop like new, since the blades can be changed.

75reinell

Seaman Apprentice

When you turn the prop in neutral by hand, does it turn freely? If so You should be good.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well thanks a lot, yes it turn freely in neutral and i cant feel and grinding or any sounds so I gess I am good? Thanks again