5HP Nissan Long Shaft Stalling in Gear

creole77

Recruit
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I just purchased an older (late 90's I believe) 5hp Long Shaft Nissan that I am using on a small inflatable. The engine starts and idles well. Once I put it into forward it runs strong for about 5 minutes and then slowly putters out and ceases. When I tried to start it again it idles well and then almost immediately ceases when put in forward. I am new to boating and really would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 5HP Nissan Long Shaft Stalling in Gear

What is the model?

Sounds like it may be a fuel starvation problem.

The 5 HP 2-strokes have on-board fuel tanks, and you will want the vent open. Quite common to forget that. The newer 4-strokes will be remote tank setups, so if that is your model, you will want to verify the remote tank vent is open. Regardless of model, make sure that the carb is clean and the float adjusted correctly, as well as making sure the fuel pump and filter are OK.

creole77

Recruit

Thanks for the input. The engine is a 2 stroke with the internal fuel tank. The vent has been opened up while running it. I will get the exact model/year this weekend when I go out to the boat but it has the greay cover so I think its an earlier 2000-2003??. I do suspect it is the carb and planned on getting a manual this weekend and taking it apart. I am not really mechanically inclined but am poor enough to give it a try! haha.

As far as the fuel pump and filter go is it worth it to buy additives to clean them out or is it possible this could worsen the problem?

Again I really appreciate the help and will repost after cleaning the carb this weekend.

Thanks!

pvanv

Admiral

A clean carb is a happy carb. For best results, clean it by soaking in a good cleaner such as Tyme. The spray stuff is often too superficial to help much.

Most fuel additives are a waste of time and money. You can run SeaFoam or Sta-Bil or K-100, especially the types that are intended to help prevent phase separation of E-10 fuels. None of these will "clean" the filter.

Make sure the service manual you get is a Factory manual -- available at any Tohatsu/Nissan dealer, not an aftermarket doorstop manual. The parts catalog is available at Elvin's website http://www.internetoutboards.com/PartsCatalogMenu.htm

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

Does sound fuel related but before you tear the carb down, I would:

1) try spraying fuel mix directly into the carb as it dies. If it perks up, it confirms it's fuel starvation related.
2) pull the fuel line at the carb right after it stalls. If it doesn't dribble gas, you have a pump/blockage BEFORE the carb. ( and there is no immediate need to pull it.) You might also try ( as it begins to die,) tapping the carb bowl with a hard object. If it perks up, you have a sticky float/needle valve which is easily solved by a good clean.

FWIW, a good dose of seafoam will help clean/smoother rough running motors with dirty carbs but it's not a cure for total fuel starvation.

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer

Last year, I had a person give me this same motor because it had this same problem. The man was red as a lobster and would not take no for an answer.

I wiped all the sweat and swear words off it, cleaned the carb and wow.

The carb had a small piece of junk that was getting caught on the main jet.
It now is a champ.

In your case, I would ask how old is the gas? is the mixture right? Get a new spark plug.

Wee hooker is right, follow his lead.

You can also take the float bowl off the carb and see if there is junk in it.

Good luck and hang in there

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

BTW, I heasitate to bring this up but the fuel shut off petcock is in the right position , yes?? I have this same motor and my fuel switch was unlabled as to what was on/off. (As I recall, clockwise was ON.)