Cable and Pulley steering

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Should all steering systems of this type have springs. Mine is a single cable witha spiral drum but it has no springs.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Cable and Pulley steering

All the ones I have seen and used have a spring/anchor back in the transom splashwell. TD has posted some pretty good photos of these in the past. I think they are still available at nominal cost.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

All the ones I have seen and used have a spring/anchor back in the transom splashwell. TD has posted some pretty good photos of these in the past. I think they are still available at nominal cost.

This is 100% correct...both ends of the cable need to be using 'preloaded' springs, to keep the cable taut at all times! Otherwise, when taken to full travel (either direction), the cable could unwind, and tangle, on the steering drum.

I used to have the job of rigging these cable steering setups on the boats we sold...as a teenager, sometime around the mid (cough) sixties! :redface:

Ned L

Commander

.... and make sure all the turning and end termination hardware (pullies & eyes) are through bolted, no screws. REAL bad stuff can happen if something pulls out.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Some of the online marine chandlery sites (hardware) have pulleys and springs for cable/pulley systems.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I think i can find most of what i need here on iboats.