Instrumentation Alarm

Tori911

Recruit
Have Faria gauges on a 2000 Maxxum & they work properly. As soon as I reach 32 or 3400 rpm, a high pitched alarm tone goes on and remains on, & sometimes beeps inconsistently. Marine mechanics haven't been helpful. From what I can tell from the limited paperwork from Faria, the tach has a warning system. Is it possible to determine which gauge has the alarm feature? Can the sound be disconnected?

madurodave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Instrumentation Alarm

Have Faria gauges on a 2000 Maxxum & they work properly. As soon as I reach 32 or 3400 rpm, a high pitched alarm tone goes on and remains on, & sometimes beeps inconsistently. Marine mechanics haven't been helpful. From what I can tell from the limited paperwork from Faria, the tach has a warning system. Is it possible to determine which gauge has the alarm feature? Can the sound be disconnected?

I am trying to get mine WORKING! This alarm detects Low Oil Pressure, High Temps or Low Drive oil. It is there for a reason. I am in the process of fixing my temp sender and this alarm. It is not worth the risk of ruining an engine. Just find the source of the problem with the help of your service manual and the fine folks here at iboats.com Wish I could be more help but I have spent 2 days just trying to get my temp sender working.

CaptNCamille

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 2006 Maxum... My alarm went off twice, once when I was low on gear lube (I should have checked oil and lube before I went out), and another time when I got into shallow water. The second time I brought the boat in to my mechanic immediately. He looked the engine over and took it out for a test ride and found every thing to be ok. He explained that when I was in the very shallow water, the outdrive intake might have sucked in some sand and caused the engine temp to start to rise. I did notice the temp start to rise but it immediately dropped back to normal. Although it was only a momentary condition, the alarm will continue to sound until it is reset by restarting the engine.

I would be concerned if your alarm is sounding. it does mean something is wrong. And if all systems check out ok, then you might have a bad gauge somewhere. You want the alarms to be working properly because they do tell you that something needs to be addressed.

Hope you get it figured out.

Tori911

Recruit

That's the thing !! everything is working great so not concerned, just very annoyed--it makes for very unpleasant boating --- most likely is a bad gauge but don't know which one or is it general alarm for all/any engine problem? I have no knowledge on how to resolve this type problem. Any suggestions?

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

That's the thing !! everything is working great so not concerned, just very annoyed--it makes for very unpleasant boating --- most likely is a bad gauge but don't know which one or is it general alarm for all/any engine problem? I have no knowledge on how to resolve this type problem. Any suggestions?

We need to know your engine...as madurodave noted, Mercruiser monitors three crucial areas. IF this is the alarm that you are hearing, it is an easy troubleshooting project.

The Mercruiser audible warning system SHOULD always sound off whenever you turn the key to the run position, and go off once the engine fires off (a couple of seconds for the oil pressure to go past 4-6 PSI). If you aren't getting this audible confimation that the monitoring system is, in fact, operational...then you need to find out why.

But...if this alarm that you are hearing is RPM related, then it is not part of the Mercruiser monitoring system, and you need to get the part number off of the face of your RPM gauge...and get back in touch with Faria. I have some 'hot' line phone numbers somewhere for their customer service big wig...I will find them, if you think that you need them!