Gimbal bearing alignment

bluemarshboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry, I should know better than to post without the correct info.

The unit is a 5.0 mercruiser with an alpha 1 gen II drive.

When installing the gimbal bearing, how is the alignment tool used...... must you have the alignment tool in the entire time your installing the bearing? I'm sure that is best procedure right?

When the bearing is installed all the way till it bottoms out, that is not aligned? So the bearing in essence then, to be correctly aligned, maybe in there a bit less than straight?

Thanks
Dave

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gimbal bearing alignment

You use a gimbal bearing installation tool. for installing the gimbal bearing, THEN you use the alignment bar to adjust the center part of the bearing to the coupler and align the engine.

You really should post what engine and drive you have. Then you could get specific information on your setup instead of just general information.

And head up to the Adults Only sticky at the top of this forum. Lots of info in there. Especially read the first thread.

bluemarshboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don, thanks for the info.

When you refer to the coupler your referring to the splined female at the engine side, correct?

You put the alignment bar in and move it around until it slides in and out smoothly, correct?

Best
Dave

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Once the Gimbal bearing is installed, you use the Alignment tool to Align the ENGINE with the Gimbal Bearing. The bearing is simply pressed into the plate mounted on the transome.

The coupling is the female part mounted to the engines flywheel.

Once the alignment bar can slip into and out of the coupling with very little pressure, then the alignment is good. If you put a glob of grease on the end of the alignment bar, the coupling will leave a "pattern" on the end of the bar. Looking at the pattern in the grease will help you know if the engine needs to be angled up or down.

bluemarshboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you. That's what I was looking for.

I suppose all mounts are adjustable?

Best
Dave

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class

The rear of the engine mounts to the transmome plate and is not adjustable. You can only adjust the front of the engine. I think the 5.0 has a different style mount than my 3.0, so I won't try to guess. However, the rear of the engine is not adjustable, just the front. The alignment process will be covered by the service manual, which can be downloaded from the "Adults Only Sticky".

bluemarshboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I read the manual and got the info, thanks for the post!

Best
Dave