Shift / Throttle control leads

Uxboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Afternoon,
I just bought a 25 Merc outboard with controls which I mounted up fine my question is this, there is a male plug with 4 wires on it connecting to the shift / throttle control do you know what each one is ? Two would be for battery,the other two I don,t know. On Ebay I ordered a Mercury cdrom till it arrives I don,t know if the wiring diagram is on it.The engine numbers are 50-90983A1 and engine serial number ODO53732,think it is a 1990.
Thanks Mike

Uxboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Shift / Throttle control leads

So there is 4 wires going into the Quicksilver shift / throttle control,does Mercury use black for ground and white for positive ? The other 2 wires I really don,t know maybe lights ? They don,t look like they were used by the previous boat.
Thanks Mike

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

Yes merc does use white as possitive, but also black. best bet is to post the part # from the harness if you can.

Uxboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Fuzztbay, The info I just got this afternoon from a dealer is the 4 wires from the short female plug on the Quicksilver unit are for gauges.I was thinking you put the black to ground and the white to + battery to supply the key switch with power.The dealer says power comes forward from engine to switch then back to crank and run.My Mercury cdrom came today from ebay so it should help in the future.Thanks again Mike