yamaha 225 four stroke rpm problem??

hydraman09

Cadet
Hi i got 3 yamaha 225 four strokes two top off at 5200 rpm and run steady, but the other one wont plane some times....:confused: and will stay stuck at 2200 and vibrate ALOT even if u gun it to full throttle,then when i stop the boat and rev it up in neutral a few times and go, it will pick up like normal but then the rpm will go to 6200 rpm and the rpm gauge will go crazy and will not stay at a steady rpm .... u can also hear the motor reving and stoping and when i set it at 5200 rpm it will go to 5700 then run back to 5200 and it wont stop doing that :(

hydraman09

Cadet
Re: yamaha 225 four stroke rpm problem??

im going to clean the injectors u guys think that will be the problem??

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

This might be a shot in the dark, but it sounds more like an electrical problem. There has been a history of loose or incomplete grounding on some of these motors. The ground screws are tight, but there is paint under them or some corrosion and they are not making a complete ground..

hydraman09

Cadet

thanks for info il go check that out to man there does seem to be some loose wireing on that specific motor compared to the other 2 that seem to have the wireing nice and neet but the one with the problem has all the wires every where ...

siryamaha225

Recruit

Sorry to bump up this thread but did triumphrick's theory work out? I am having the same issue you are having. RPM's stay at 2200 and wont go down until I rev the engine a couple of times on neutral. I greased all the mechanical parts on the throttle mechanism and took out a lot of salt but still nothing. triumphrick, what ground screw are you actually talking about?

blackbox

Seaman

just a reminder that some early production 225 yam. 4 stroke motors had a bullitin and or recall on the linkage. the throtles would sometimes stick at a high iddle. yam shipped its dealers bushing kits to repair the problem.