Thoughts on Lounge or pedestal seats

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
I restoring a 1967 Crestliner. Im sure the original seats were back to back lounge, but I dont have them. Any thoughts or has anyone used 4 pedestal seats. I want the boat to fish well. I figured with 2 rear pedestals I could put a cooler with pad between them in the back. Was also thinking a small table in the middle that all the seats could turn and access when relaxing on the water. Here is a picture of the boat.

Attachments

• SANY0001.JPG
    SANY0001.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 0
  • SANY0002.JPG
    SANY0002.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 0

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Thoughts on Lounge or pedestal seats

If you plan on fishing and/or getting the boat wet inside, i would definitely opt for the pedestal seats...

When you buy lounge seats, the wood isnt sealed on them, and they will inevitably rot out again if they are getting wet a lot...

The only drawback is, you would lose the storage space underneath the seat..

I opted for a middle ground on mine... instead of lounge seats, I "built in" the bases to the boat, (fiberglass sealed the wood, then fiberglassed the assembly into the boat), then put the removable swivel seats in it.. this way I dont have to worry about the base rotting out, I still keep my storage, and I get the benefit of a swivel fishing seat that is easy to change out (walmart specials :) ).

Its not done yet, but I can upload a picture of what I got done so far in a minute for you... making dinner right now :D

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Here's what I am doing... Like I said I built in the bases rather then put another set of lounge seats in (have gone through 2 sets already)... I had pedestals for a while, but Lost all the storage which kinda sucked...

I just fiberglassed the pieces of wood, fiberglassed them into the boat, then gel coated them... (you would probably have to coat yours different for an aluminum boat, but the principle is the same).

This way the seat bases don't rot, and you can still have pedestals to fish from.

Starboard Seat Base:

Port Seat base:

Aft View:

Once im done, i will just mount these into the tops:

You just mount the base in the wood, the short pole/plate to a seat, and then when you want to have a pedstal you drop in the pole.

This was just what I did, not sure if you would like it or not, but figured I would toss the idea at ya!

Hope that helps!

Rickairmedic

Commander

My Starcraft started out life with 2 lounge seats I will be going back with 2 pedestals up front and a full bench across the back. This way I keep some storage and gain some open space in the middle of the boat.

Rick

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I really thought about a bench in the back. Do you think I would have to modify my fuel tank to vent to the outside? Right now I only have the 2 6gal plastic tanks. I was worried about ventilation if I blocked off under the transom. Would the 2 holes that the cables run out of in the rear be enough? There about 4" holes.

Rickairmedic

Commander

I plan to leave about a 3" space between my splashwell and the benchseat and make a screen cover for that area so that air can still get back there easily.

Rick

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Are you making your own bench? I have seen a few online but they are pricey. Maybe I'll have to keep an eye on Craigslist (my nemesis that starts all my projects). Like the idea of the gap to vent the fumes. Another silly question, how do you normally board a boat like this. I hate the thought of someone walking on my bow after it's painted, and leaning on my windshield and cracking it. I've always had open bow boats.

Rickairmedic

Commander

I will be building my own bench once I get to that point . Generally on these types of boats you board from the side . I dare someone to put a foot on my Bow when I get her done they will be knocked off post haste :D:D.

Rick

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

I really thought about a bench in the back. Do you think I would have to modify my fuel tank to vent to the outside? Right now I only have the 2 6gal plastic tanks. I was worried about ventilation if I blocked off under the transom. Would the 2 holes that the cables run out of in the rear be enough? There about 4" holes.
I dont know if just leaving a gap would suffice, because it still does not allow for any air movement, the fumes would just sink to the bottom...

If you close off enough of the area where the fuel tanks are stored, then you will need to add in approved ventilation...

Typically you would put in two air flow type vents, one facing forward, one facing aft...

/edit removed the vent link as those were for rope routing and not for ventilation... but you get the idea, I am sure you have seen them on boats before

Hope that helps!

Rickairmedic

Commander

Good point I had thought about putting some vents up high on the splshwell and also putting a vent in the bottom of the bench as well. I own an Hvac company so getting air to flow isnt a big deal :D.

Rick

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

The vents are probably a good idea whether it's blocked off or not, I think I'll add them. I'm starting to lean toward 2 pedestals in the front, with 2 jump seats in the rear. That way I still have access to raise and lower the motor (no power trim) and I could build a live well or put the cooler in between. Thanks for the ideas and I would really like to see that bench when you get it made.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Lion Hunter just kep an eye on my thread in my signature . I am in painting stage now :D. I hope to be doing interior in a week or so .

Rick

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

My old Glaspar had pedestals up front and a home made bench in the back. Functional and cheap. No doubt that you could do a bit better! :D

aftviewfromcabintop640.jpg