Speed of 14' Aluminum boat with various outboards

simplystressed

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All - I'm trying to figure out what motor to buy for a friend. They have a 14ft v-hull Aluminum, probably weighs 150lbs dry. Is there a calculator to see how fast it will go with various motors? Looking for the following:

9.9hp
15hp
20hp
25hp

I know a 7.5 will push it 11mph with two people. Without changing props, anyone have a rough idea on the above motors or know of a calculator or chart to reference?

Thanks

Kobie

Cadet
Re: Speed of Aluminum boat with various outboards

Well I havent tried all the motors on your list, but I am hoping to some day. My 14ft Aerocraft weighs 105 pounds, and I weigh 115 (im not underweight still growing), and the required safety gear weighs about 15 lbs. All of these speeds are gps.

1990-ish 6hp Yamaha- 17.4 mph wot with the above weight
16 mph wot with above plus 130lbs sister
15 mph wot with me, sister, and 180lbs father.
This is one bad motor, can pull me on a surf board going 15mph.

1961 10hp Evinrude- 21.5 mph wot with above weight
18 mph wot with above plus 180lbs father

1980 15hp Evinrude- Have not tried this one yet, but hope to in the near future once i finish fixing it.

simplystressed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Kobie. Anyone else able to share their speeds on their 14ft aluminums?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Flat bottom jon, or V-bottom tinny? Makes a difference. My old Johnson FD-11 18 hp pushed my 16-foot V-hull tinney just fine fully loaded with two anglers. Not scary fast, but more than enough umph. Never put a speedo to it to peg the mph. Flat bottom jons need less hp, different hull shape.

simplystressed

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Speed of 14' Aluminum boat with various outboards

V Bottom Aluminum is the stats I'm after:)

Ned Kelly

Recruit

What is the boat rated for ?? I'd go for the biggest motor it is rated for, although I had a 14' aluminum rated for 15HP std.
I then added a plywood deck the full length of it and a beefed up transom ( 3/4 " marine plywood ) and ran a 30 HP evinrude & that was very fast with 2 people, thats all it fished comfortably....For me Bigger is better but Safer is smarter !! Good Luck

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

I have a lund s-14, a semi-v hull, but also deeper than most 14 foot tinny's. It's a heavy boat for an aluminum fishing boat. With a weight of 800-900 lbs total (boat, motor, battery, trolling motor, gear, and myself and a friend) and a '58 18hp johnson, we got about 17mph at wot. With me in the boat, trimmed properly, i topped out nearly at 21mph. I'm going to try my 10hp later this week ('56 Evinrude) for a hp restricted lake. I've made some mods on the boat, so it will run a little heavier, but less bow rise. Once I find out, I'll let you know.

esobofh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a Crestliner XCR 1462 V

-Deep V (32" bow), 62" beam
-Dry weight is 140#.

1986 7.5hp Merc (total weight ~660lbs) 3 blade, 8p prop - 24Kmh (14.9 miles)

1976 9.8hp Merc (total weight ~640lbs) 2 blade, 7p prop - 23Kmh (14.2 miles)

1976 9.8hp Merc (total weight ~640lbs) 3 blade, 8p prop - 28Kmh (17.4 miles)

Awaiting delivery of a 2010 Evinrude E-TEC 25... i'll let you know how that goes :)

Movie of my boat with the 7.5 going hard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h9e2Wwhcu8

simplystressed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies folks! Anyone have any data on a newer 15-25hp 2 or 4 stroke pushing one of these tinnys?

Yreka

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies folks! Anyone have any data on a newer 15-25hp 2 or 4 stroke pushing one of these tinnys?

I have a 14' Gregor Aluminum with a 2002 15hp(4t) Yamaha.. It will push me along at 20-25 MPH by myself. 14-20MPH fully loaded (speeds per GPS)

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My buddy and I both had 14' Lunds.
Loaded with beers, extra gas, fishing gear, etc.
He ran a 25 hp,,, I ran a 20 hp, same make & (basic) model, 2 strokes.
Originally, he'd pull away from me slowly, Maybe 200 yds. in a couple miles.
I changed props, he never pulled away again. Usually I'd double the difference.

HOWEVER
Caution! Not for the faint of heart!
They both flew. Was told by someone running along side that we were doing 32 mph. and that was loaded (I'm not too sure of that,, but he insisted). It would take us about 20 minutes to make a 10 mile run to Block Island early in the morning when things were flat. 1 hr. plus when it wasn't flat coming home. :(
I will say, without any gear and just taking a ride with an empty boat,,, It was more airborn than waterborn!
You get booking along and a head breeze gets under you it gets real exciting, real fast! :eek: It wants to go up & over.
Trim is VERY important. Trimmed right we were almost flat on the water,, and only about 10 inches of boat stern was wet in the water.
It doesn't turn,,, it slides a very big corner.
On a turn, if you catch a breeze on the inside, it could make you catch water on the off side, and a roll is very possible.

You'll be going 1/2 throttle on all but the calmest days.

I used to race O/B Hydroplanes,,, that Lund with the 20 and prop was scary at times,,, but a whole lotta fun! :D

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer

I too used to have a hydroplane or two.

10 hp merc and the right prop and hang on...all top end

18 hp johnson and wrong prop, too much out of the hole and no top end