5.7L V8 Mercruiser (CARB) will not start

zzucoug

Recruit
Hello,

I have a 1998 Maxum SR2300 with a 5.7L V8 Mercruiser (CARB).

The other day pulling into the Marina I was shifting back and forth between Rev and Fwd and it stalled. I dont know if this event is related at all, but I have not been able to get it to run since.

The day before this issue, I replaced the Fuel Water Seperator and changed out the oil and ran it for a couple hours. But now when I turn the key it sounds like it wants to fire but it never does (except I get small puffs of exhaust).

There is about a 1/4 of a tank a gas and I am getting fuel into the CARB when I push down the throttle. I pulled off the fuel water seperator and dumped the gas into a glass jar, but could not identifiy any odor or seperation. I replaced the spark plugs and I am getting spark to them.

If any one has any suggestions or comments I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your time.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5.7L V8 Mercruiser (CARB) will not start

Get a couple ounces of gas and pour it down the carb and see if it fires off.

I've run into a couple of boats that were ALL water and only the slightest amount of gas in the clear container. Made it look like it was all gas.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

It could be your shift delay switch has gone bad. I believe they are all spring loaded. Anyway follow your shift cable to the carb area ( or there abouts ) and with someone moving the throttle - engine and ignition OFF - look and see if that mechanism isn't making full contact - or that it's not stuck.
Don, do you think that also might be the culprit?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don, do you think that also might be the culprit?

I doubt it. He says he has spark. If the shift interrupt switch was stuck closed, it wouldn't have any spark. That is what that switch does is stops the spark.