1971 Glastron Heat Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

slammedyota91

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, new here. names Marcus, Glad to be here you all seem really awesome and knowledgable about everything I have read. To start Im 22 and wanted to get out on the lake. Searched craigslist forever for that deal you cant pass up.. Welll this was one of those, got it for $600. Anyway, Its a 1971 Glastron V 164 "aqualift". Supposedly this motor was gone through and rebuilt with less than 10 hours on it. I dunno if its true. It needs interior work and Im starting that tomorrow :) Anyway. Bought it earlier this week, Tried to test it out on the river before going to the lake cuz its closer and to make sure everything works good. Well it fired right up. Sounded good, Was a lil tough getting into gear but once in was easy throttleing up. and down. The temp started getting hot pretty quickly, Shut her down waited til she cooled down and pulled her back in. It heats up quickly. And the timing is way off. It tries running after i shut it down. Also the crank seems to have a bit of smoke from that area. dipstick and the recirc tube going into the intake. The motor is an inboard Volvo 4 cyl. 130horse? Any help on troubleshooting this overheating issue would be awesome. Thats the only thing keeping me off the lake. :) Thanks in advance

sccheech9

Cadet
Re: 1971 Glastron Heat Issues

This happened to me yesterday actually. It turned out to be really simple. You should have a hookup where you can attach a garden hose to run water through the motor while you are on land. Make sure there is a cap on this before you go to the lake, otherwise the water will just shoot out here and not go into the engine. If it is a standard size, a cap from a 20 oz soda works great!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What is the model number of your engine. It's usually an AQ-XXX-A where the X is the model number, and the A could be anything from A to D.

slammedyota91

Seaman Apprentice

Well, It was in the river. So The hose wouldnt need to be there. But I took the cover plate off the water pump where the impeller is, And it is in good shape. Im wondering if maybe something is clogged somewhere? There was water in the impeller area so I assume water was going through? Head gasket isnt blown no milky oil... Cant adjust timing until the heat issue is resolved :(

slammedyota91

Seaman Apprentice

I didnt find any numbers like that. It is a Volvo B20, Number saying: 49691268446 and another: 1-419303 All on the portside. ANd on top one saying: 1-418205. Heres a bunch of engine pics... Thanks again for the help so far!
Picture141-3.jpg

Picture142-2.jpg

This wire comes from the alt and around the motor over to the starter but isnt connected, Any ideas?
Picture143-2.jpg

Picture144-1.jpg

This wire is chillin by the alt. Havent followed it anywhere yet...
Picture147-2.jpg

Picture148-2.jpg

sccheech9

Cadet

I know you do not need a hose in the river, but there should be an inlet where you can hook up a hose on the stern drive. If there is not a cap over that hole, the water will shoot out of it and your engine will overheat because it is not getting any water to it.

slammedyota91

Seaman Apprentice

I know you do not need a hose in the river, but there should be an inlet where you can hook up a hose on the stern drive. If there is not a cap over that hole, the water will shoot out of it and your engine will overheat because it is not getting any water to it.

Oh Oh, Its has a cap. Its in the pics its a bright yellow one. Stupid how the fitting is lol, Most hoses have the opposite thread, lol.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

but there should be an inlet where you can hook up a hose on the stern drive.

Maybe on an old OMC stringer drive there was a fitting, but not on a Volvo.

You can use muffs on the drive, or since a previous owner put that fitting with the yellow cap in, you really don't even need muffs.
PS: That fitting with the yellow cap is not an OEM part.

Just make yourself a short hose with double female hose barb ends on it. Then, when you want to run the engine on land, just hook it up and start it.
If it still heats up with the hose hooked up there, then something on the pressure side of the pump is plugged up, and not allowing water to flow through and out the drive.

Your engine appears to be an AQ130. Here is the manual for the engine.
http://www.4shared.com/account/file...0_thru_170_Serv_Man.html?sId=f3UBnUWt1avUVjOU

captmello

Captain

On my old volvo it had a tag with the aq number on the side of the block down toward the oil pan. if you can figure that out you may be able to get a manual from DonS with a wiring diagram.:)

What outdrive do you have?

I guess Dons already figured it out.

Last edited:

slammedyota91

Seaman Apprentice

Maybe on an old OMC stringer drive there was a fitting, but not on a Volvo.

You can use muffs on the drive, or since a previous owner put that fitting with the yellow cap in, you really don't even need muffs.
PS: That fitting with the yellow cap is not an OEM part.

Just make yourself a short hose with double female hose barb ends on it. Then, when you want to run the engine on land, just hook it up and start it.
If it still heats up with the hose hooked up there, then something on the pressure side of the pump is plugged up, and not allowing water to flow through and out the drive.

Your engine appears to be an AQ130. Here is the manual for the engine.
http://www.4shared.com/account/file...0_thru_170_Serv_Man.html?sId=f3UBnUWt1avUVjOU

That manual is awesome! Thank you so much for that! On my last pic I uploaded, Does anyone know what that hose/fitting is for? I dont see it in the manual? Any help and all help is always appreciated!!

slammedyota91

Seaman Apprentice

On my old volvo it had a tag with the aq number on the side of the block down toward the oil pan. if you can figure that out you may be able to get a manual from DonS with a wiring diagram.:)

What outdrive do you have?

I guess Dons already figured it out.

The outdrive is huge! Its a "270" Is that a good one? Also, How am I to know water is coming out of the motor like its suppose to? Where dies it exit out at?

captmello

Captain

The outdrive is huge! Its a "270" Is that a good one? Also, How am I to know water is coming out of the motor like its suppose to? Where dies it exit out at?

270 is fine. Almost identical to mine 17 years newer.

Water should come out of the flapper above your prop and, if you have one, a rubber hose on the side of your transom shield called an idle relief port.

Does anyone know what that hose/fitting is for? I dont see it in the manual? Any help and all help is always appreciated!!

I have no idea. The only thing that comes to mind is the previous owner may have installed that to make it easy to drain the thermo housing. thats my WAG.

slammedyota91

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks man! Youre extremely helpful. I dunno what a Transom is though. does the outboard have an impeller on it too? To suck water up to the water pump impeller? Or is it just the one impeller on the water pump? If water does come out my exhaust flap above the prop, And it still over heats.. Any ideas? This way when I work on it. I dont have to get online and wait for other things to try ya know? Thanks again man! I appreciate it more than you know!

slammedyota91

Seaman Apprentice

Oh also, Is there a thermostat on these engines? I didnt see anywhere for one? I was reading other forums, and noticed some guys talking about thermostats on their boats. Is this something I should check out?

slammedyota91

Seaman Apprentice

Also, lol. Sorry, Where is the timing belt? I dont have the boat here with me, Im at work and its at home. I am looking through the pics I took and I cant find it. In order to time it I need that lol. I dont wanna do it by ear. I want it to be right :)

captmello

Captain

Thanks man! Youre extremely helpful. I dunno what a Transom is though. does the outboard have an impeller on it too? To suck water up to the water pump impeller? Or is it just the one impeller on the water pump? If water does come out my exhaust flap above the prop, And it still over heats.. Any ideas? This way when I work on it. I dont have to get online and wait for other things to try ya know? Thanks again man! I appreciate it more than you know!

Just that one pump on the front of the motor.

Yes water could come out and still overheat.

have a look at the link I posted in post #2.

#1 is the thermostat and #3 is the housing which would have to come off to change it. I would recommend changing it out.

that engine doesn't have a timing belt. I confirmed this by looking at the manual Don S gave you.:rolleyes: I recommend looking through it carefully.

The transom is the back of the boat with your outdrive hanging on it.

Go to this link and type in AQ130 in the "engine type" box and hit enter.

Click on the AQ130C and hit enter.

Browse the PDF files there, download anything you want to reference later.

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marine_leisure_engines/parts_service/publication_search/publication_search.htm

One other thing I noticed when I was looking at the service manual, if you look at the different engines covered in there yours has the exhaust of an AQ115 with the twin Carbs of an AQ130. So you may be dealing with a "hybid".

Status
Not open for further replies.