Kelowna fires

Robj

Lieutenant
Hello,

Some of you may have seen on the news the wildfires that are burning out of control in the Kelowna area. Hopefully this is not a repeat of 2003 when over 200 houses were lost. Well a few of our friends who frequent this forum regularly live in the area. Oops!, Tacklewasher, Noklu. There may be a few more who I am not aware of. The good thing is they live further west from where the fires are currently burning. Take care guys and hope everyone is safe!!!

Rob.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: Kelowna fires

As one who watched nearly an entire city lost to a disaster, I can relate. My thoughts are with all those affected or potentially affected.

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was at a base ball game with dad yesterday when we decided to take a look at a new golf course I am playing monday am. The course is up on a bench overlooking the valley and at 2 pm there was a small but intense column of smoke rising from the side of a hill over by his house and I joked about him having his insurance paid up. By the time we got there a few hours later for dinner the choppers were loading up in the bay his condo overlooks and were coming straight over his balcony very low, where we were eating dinner. We had water falling around us from the buckets they were dropping on the fire about 2 km's away. The wind was high and blowing the fire, smoke and steam right at us. The choppers were coming at us about 2 a minute. By the time we finished dinner we had the radio on and there was an evac alert for his complex so we packed up a few bags and important papers [insurance] to be ready. 5 minutes later the cops told us to leave. We never even had time for desert. I jumped in my truck and went down to the bay they were loading from and watched the 6 choppers whip in and load and leave in about 15 seconds. The *****holes in the boats trying to get as close to the helicopters as they could and the cops running back and forth chasing them back in rough water. It's too bad at a time like that they are not allowed to shoot to kill as these guys would just turn around and come back in close as soon as the cops turned around and went to chase someone else off. They did the same thing to the bombers at the last big fire and was so bad some couldn't even load at times. Hard to believe some people think it's fun. The pilots were good and put on a show for us on the beach as some would drop down and load just a couple hundred feet from us and no I never had a camera. Dad's camcorder battery was dead as well. When they were grounded at 9:30 I drove to the other side of the lake to get a better view of the fire and I couldn't believe the size of it from the first time I spotted it in the afternoon. The whole side of the mountain was glowing but at that point only 3 houses had burnt and the fire was heading away from the houses and where it was close the ground crews were running back and forth putting out hot spots. The wind had dropped off but we'll have to see what today brings when the winds kick up again this afternoon. There are 3 seprate fires burning and small fires are popping up all over kelowna proper and we are a long ways from the main fire so it's hard to believe that these are not man made by jerks thinking it's funny. When we got evacuated I stopped a RCMP and asked the guy with all the stripes on his shoulder if they needed any volunteers to stay behind and shoot looters and his only response was a smile and "no comment". Anything exciting happens I'll keep you posted.

Robj

Lieutenant

Glad to hear you guys are OK. We have been watching in AWE on TV. I actually sent an e-mail to the local TV station here in Vancouver suggesting that the next time they interview an official, ask them why the Martin Mars is not there yet. They asked the forest minister and he said its use is limited in such a fire, not sure that I agree with that one. I have seen that thing work before, it is amazing, but expensive abut $8k per hour, which may be the reason it is not there. But it sounds like they are hitting it very hard, so hopefully it should be under control soon. Take care!!!

Rob.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

my heart goes out to the people in west Kelowna, I drove through the Barriere to adams lake road 10 minutes before the fire there took out the mill and the east hill and as well we had to evacuate when Salmon Arm went up
(always fun to see how much of your stuff you can put in a travel trailer in 20minutes)
lets hope the wind doesnt change and start heading northwest.
good luck
rob

oops!

Supreme Mariner

thanks guys.....

we are safe here right now.....but there is a lot of burning ash falling in various areas of the city.....small spot fires are breaking out....

there are also now 3 main fires....

the first fire was on the west side of the lake....an area called west bank ...(where our father lives)....we lost 3 houses....and every one was evacuated immead as the fire spread very fast.....not a fire storm but close.

the fire sent ash and burning embers over 1000 feet in the air.....as such.....an area called rose valley is now up un flames.....(some more very prestigious homes there)......but the fire department and fire fighters are doing a good job.....no homes lost there yet.

the main fire also spawned an area some 15 miles north ....called fintry.

because the fire spread in the west bank area so fast...and there are around 10,000 homes right there....the fire fighters had to ignore the fintry break out....

that is now the main fire area....its huge and growing .......

rob j.....check your reseverations bud.....the cove was one of the first areas to be evacuated....and im positive that the fire got down there...(in the area)

i was working at my shop today...and was able to get some far off pictures.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

my shop is aprox 5 miles from the lake....

there is a lot of smoke in the area......i looked up and saw this

randomsummerpicsandfire094.jpg

this is a telephoto shot

randomsummerpicsandfire103.jpg

this gives you an idea how close it is

randomsummerpicsandfire106.jpg

that shot is of the newer section of the fire at rose valley.....by the time i left the shop a few minits later.....flames could be seen.

this is a pic of the smoke plume of the fintry area....this is where the major fires are now.

randomsummerpicsandfire104.jpg

ill get some more shots tommorow for you......

wish us luck

jcsercsa

Captain

YEP Stay Safe Buddie, Do they Know what started it yet ?? John

Robj

Lieutenant

Stay safe guys!!! We are still 2 weeks away and by then this thing should be over. Seems like the bombers are making good progress and are hitting it hard.

Take care and good to hear from you!!

Rob.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

YEP Stay Safe Buddie, Do they Know what started it yet ?? John

thanks guys...

they think it was a lightining strike a few days ago....

it lay smouldering and was not attacked and put out.....when we got the daily wind here...it spread too fast.

mrs oops and i are going camping at our lake for a few days...(special occasion coming up we are leaving this afternoon) it is still very close... so i will be sleeping with one eye open for that.

cheers
oops

Zeeter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We want to be at one with nature and control it.

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

They finally have the fires about 50% under control. They had around 10 choppers and five bombers going steady and the water is close so it never took long for a round trip. The smoke was bad till monday evening when the wind shifted and took the smoke straight south down to the US. They let a bunch of the evacs return home this morning and they opened the highway to penticton. About half are still homeless but they might get back to there homes tomorrow if the wind stays calm tonight. The fires are still going but things around town are starting to return to normal and they saved the lumber mill near where it all started. The count is 3 homes and 10 structures lost with no loss of life so far. They are saying all 3 fires were started by people in the area and not by natural causes. The glenrosa fire is believed to have been started by some people that were riding dirt bikes in the area. Make sure you have spark arrestors on your toys guys. They should be mandatory and not an option you have to pay for. I went for a ride on my quad last week and they actually did a tech inspection at the local riding area before I was allowed to go up in the hills. It would drive me nuts to think I went for a ride in the hills and burnt the whole place down just for a little more pep when you open it up. :eek:

SS Flasher

Seaman Apprentice

I actually sent an e-mail to the local TV station here in Vancouver suggesting that the next time they interview an official said:
One of the Mars is in California right now as they have a contract to fight fires down there. Our government will not pay the cost even though they are the most effective.