omc 115 partial freeze?

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, so i ended up with a non running four winns fling, for those who aren't familiar,it's a jonnyrud 115 cross flow v4 sitting on a jet drive. The engine will turn about 3/4 of a turn but not much beyond that(by either starter or wrench on top). The previous owner said that the bearing under the flywheel is shot, so i went out to napa and picked up a "harmonic balancer puller", pulled the flywheel nut off, put the puller onto the flywheel, and ended up bending the puller. Now, I'm not even entirely sure that this is the problem, but sense i was pointed me in that direction i figured it would be a decent start. any input would be greatly appreciated since this boat is aesthetically in great shape, and i would love to get it running, even though these turbojets are apparently quite a nuisance. ps first post, but have been trolling for a while, y'all are awesome.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: omc 115 partial freeze?

(Quote) even though these turbojets are apparently quite a nuisance.

Not sure what you mean by that.

Pull the shoe off the pump and see if there's a rock stuck in it, easy fix if there is.

When you hold the flywheel does it move side to side, or otherwise feel loose, which would indicate a bad bearing? Or is the 1/4 of a turn it will make smooth or rough?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you have to be patient with flywheels, i have had them take a week to decide to come off.
PULLING FLYWHEEL

you need a harmonic balancer puller, you need 3 - #8 harden bolts, that fit the 3 holes in your flywheel. standard hardware store bolts will strip out, causing more problems. loosen the flywheel nut, leaving it on so it protects the thread. thread the bolts in 7/16 of an inch. then tighten the puller, adjust so it has a straight pull. now tighten the puller, rap the center bolt with a hammer, then tighten some more. you may have to let it sit over nite, and repeat in the morning. this is a compression fitting, it will eventually POP!!. do not loose the woodruff key that goes in the groove of the flywheel and the crank shaft. then installing the flywheel, it has to be totally clean, no oil, woodruff key in place. then torque the nut to the specifications for your particular motor. if you do not do this, the woodruff key with shear, and you will be repeating these steps

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What portion of a rotation it does seems to be very smooth, but just wont continue all the way around. i have a shop manual in the mail, which i will probably wait before doing anything else until it comes, and by a nuisance, I'm meaning that i have yet to find a mechanic willing to even look at this set up that returns calls. Thank you

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The pump portion is very very simple, it takes about ten minutes to have it completely disassembled and the same amount of time to put it back together.

To check for a rock, look at the bottom section of the pump, there will be 8 bolts to remove and the shoe will drop off, this will expose the impellor. Small rocks and sand can jam the impellor, so check it closely. To remove the impellor, remove the large nut holding it in place, most of the time the impellor will come off fairly easy, but every now and then you find one that's stuck. There will be a stack of washer under the nut, there will also be washers under the impellor, keep track of how many there are in each place, they're used to adjust the clearance between the impellor and sleeve.

This may not be the problem, but it will only take a few minutes to check.

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the heads up-i assume those washers are how I adjust the clearances for impeller wear and such, or do they pretty well stay in the same position? Yet again thank you i guess ill be trying to figure this out tomorrow.

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class

also for what its worth the bearing under the flywheel was fried, working on getting the boat up and running