Volvo Penta I/O was NOT winterized

donl44

Recruit
Hello--

I am looking to buy a 5 year old boat with a 5.7L GXi Volvo Penta engine I/O with low hours (<100). I just found out that the owner did not properly winterize it last year, and we had a particularly harsh winter in the Pacific Northwest (by our standards anyway). He took the boat in to de-winterize it in preparation for the water test I am requiring before I purcahse the boat.

Well the shop called him and told him that he "didn't get all the fluids out of the engine", and the engine is trashed. I do not have anymore specifics than that (am waiting to talk to the owner). So the owner said he is going to have a new engine, same make, size, etc installed, and have the warranties transferred to me. I understand from my cousin, who is a boating guy too, that this will be the inboard unit only on the I/O. The outdrive will not be replaced (waiting for confirmation from owner). But in reading online it sounds like the outdrive could also have been damaged from the cold winter.

My questions:
* Is this (should this) be a deal breaker?
* What else could have been damaged, say with the outdrive, because the winterization was not done properly?
* If this is not a deal breaker, what else might I check or demand that the owner have checked for damage?
* Anything else you would suggest?

Thanks for your time reading and replying to my post.

DL

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Volvo Penta I/O was NOT winterized

Obviously it's raw water cooled, so engine block and exhaust manifolds are the parts that would've been ruined by freezing water. Maybe a power steering cooler too...

Outdrive will be fine.

All the stuff about whether it's a deal breaker etc, is totally up to you. No one on a message board can help you decide that stuff.

However some questions to ask:

Is the replacement engine new, or remanufactured?
Are all parts being installed sourced through marine channels? (i.e. not an automotive engine block from the auto wreckers)
Are exhaust manifolds being installed Volvo Penta, or are they aftermarket parts?
Are mechanics doing the work VP trained/certified/licensed?

You would definitely want to see and retain copies of all paperwork for parts being ordered/installed.

You also don't want to pay 1 cent before all work is complete and you go for a nice 1 hour test run.

donl44

Recruit

Thanks Howard...

My concerns are that I don't have a ton of boating knowledge. I have family that has owned several boats..but this will be my first boat. This was a sweet deal before recently finding out that the low hours engine is "trashed".

I thought of a couple of those engine questions, and wanted to verify the work done with the dealer myself (they are VP trained technicians). As well as the warranties on work and engine being able to be transferred to me. The exhaust is a concern. I am not sure what to check there. It has that "Captain's Call" quiet exhaust switch thing. Would I notice something on a test drive? I can verify what they tested, found, etc related to the exhaust when I talk to the owner and/or the shop doing the work. But what do I look for on the exhaust?

Also, in regards to the outdrive, my cousin suggested that the fluid in the lower unit be drained, checked, and replaced to see if there is any water in it. (If there was any water in the lower unit the freeze and thaw could have damaged something in there.) Your thoughts?

Thanks for your time Howard.

DL

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

sounds like it might be worth getting an independent tech or surveyor to accompany you on your test drive.

Yes the drive should have been changed in the fall, but having enough water in it to freeze damage is a real long shot. The drive would have been corroded inside likely anyways if it had enough water for that.

Check the level and drain a bit off to look for water.

donl44

Recruit

Thanks Howard for all your help. Final Question: How do I go about finding an independent surveyor locally who can come on a test drive with me? Do you have to know someone? Do shops or marinas/dealers typically do this for a fee?

Appreciate your time.

Don

donl44

Recruit

Hi Howard--

I went out to see the boat today and talk to the shop owner. The new engine that is going in is a remanufactured one. (The block cracked on the old one due to the freeze.)

The engine is coming in from a reliable source with a full 2 season warranty, and the shop that is doing the work comes highly recommended. (I have checked with marine surveyors in the area.) The shop is also doing a full servicing of the outdrive and has inspected other potentially damaged areas: power steering cooler, exhaust manifolds, sea water pump (or something)...all look good.

Do you trust a remnaufactured engine? Sounds like at least I will know the full history (and get to write that history) of the engine. Do you agree?

Thanks--Don L

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Do you trust a remnaufactured engine? Sounds like at least I will know the full history (and get to write that history) of the engine. Do you agree?
Don,

Do you know here are they getting the engine? There's a couple of places around the area or they may have a machine shop that they deal with.... Last Summer I installed a "reman" engine (for the same reason by the way:rolleyes:) from US Engines in Kent, Wa ..The owner is happy with his "new" engine so far.....

As long as the "shop" you're talking about will warrenty the engine installation you're probably fine. Since you are having a Surveyor look at it you should ask him these questions. He'll probably know if any engine supplier around the area has had problems.

Cheers,

Rick