is a boat to old?

pilotmanmk11

Cadet
I was having a very interesting with some people who believe that a boat is to old and weak. They tell me it is not worth fixing up, it will just break when you hit the first wave. I was getting very angry and thought talking to you guys would help. So I would like to know your guys opinion on old fiberglass boats and if there is such a thing as to old and weak and don't deserve to be saved. If they are to old how can it be saved them and prove everyone wrong. This is just a general question not about any specific boat other than fiberglass ones. Thanks for listening to me I feel so much better.

brizander

Cadet
Re: is a boat to old?

I don't know much about fiberglass boats, but from spending some time in the Boat Restoration and Building section, I know quite a few people who do know hang out there.

http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

I would say that yes, a boat could be to old and rotted out to be worth it. All depends on how the poor ol gal has been treated.

BZ

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Is a woman too old? Define old and the projected use.

If the gel coat is still intact so that UV rays have not started to damage the underlying fiberglass, the the boat will still be stucturally sound. It may need the floor, transom, and stringers replaced, but it certainly will not break up on the water.

By gel coat intact, I don't mean simple chalking. I mean sun damage that has compromised the protection of the gel-coat. When you rub you hand or arm over a surface like this, small fiberglass particles will rub off and itch.

Fiberglass is a mechanical mixture of glass fibers which are flexible because of their thinness, glued together with styrene monomer which has been polymerized by catalyst. As long as the polystyrene is not de-polymerized by UV rays, or chemically damaged, its life is indefinite within reason. Glass? how does 10,000 years sound for it?

Even structural repairs if done properly are almost as strong as the original substrate. The real question is "How much time, effort, and money do you want to invest in restoring the hull?" A hull in poor condition still can be restored but it will most likely cost more than the final boat will be worth.

LiLGrady17

Seaman

I'm a boating newbie, but I've done alot of research before taking the plunge. When F'glass boats were becoming more of the market share, many manufacturers popped up all over. With any new process, there was a learning curve.. Some manufacturers got it right, some didn't.. Many had quality issues, weak spots, delamination, gel coat too thin, ect.. but even when the boats were new, they had the problems, so age wasn't the issue. Quality control was.. I figured go for a quality manufacturer that's still around, cause they must be doing something right.. Wound up with my GW.. No prize winner, just something to get me on the water to fish.. Now, as for 'saving' an older boat is strictly dependent on your love of the boat, what you hope to do with the boat & your $$$ resources.. All personal questions only you can answer.. And for your Anti-Old Boat friends, when they start writing your 'new' boat payment monthly checks, you'll start to listen to them..

brizander

Cadet

Sure most any old boat can be repaired. However a boat can be beyond a persons means or willingness to repair. Best thing to do is take a bunch of pictures and post in the restoration forum.

It might not be as bad as you think or it might be worse. Take some pics. They love Pics.

BZ

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you grasp the gunnels, and with a little pressure, the hull walls flex? yeah, it's a tad too old (my hand to god, that one happened). if you press on the hull and a finger goes through,? yup. she's too prehistoric to waste your time and money on.....otherwise, have you seen some of the vessels on this site? older than i am, and in a hundred times better shape! there's no such thing as too old.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Sure a boat can be too old &/or worn to repair/restore for the adverage boater :(
BUT then again if your pockets are deep enough anything can be brought back to "good as new" :rolleyes:

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

The question isn't if it's too old but rather if it's if it's too worn. Newer boats can also wear down pretty fast if the owner doesn't care for it. I have a fiberglass boat that is 23 years older than I am (I was born in '71). When I got it up and running, it ran great. A solid boat. It's in "project status" now, but not because it's too worn. I just want to restore it and "customize" it.

BTW, nothing against newer boats, but I really like the lines of some of these old fiberglassics.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

There are old boats that aren't all that old, and there are new boats that are old before their time. As noted above, the bigger issue is how well cared for it is and whether the skin is intact enough, and was made well enough in the first place, to take the stresses. I know guys who own and operate 50-year old fiberglass boats. The structure may have been rebuilt or replaced, and in some cases new gelcoat applied for cosmetic and structural reasons, but the boats themselves are solid when done. I've seen a few that are all original and work just fine, too. Those are the ones that may have been stored indoors their whole lives, used sparingly, well cared for when used, etc. It's not age that kills boats - it's abuse...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

How old has nothing to do with it. A well cared for boat 50-60 years old can be like new and a neglected boat can be worthless junk in 10 years or even less.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

size is a factor, too. An old 25' will have a lot more stress from weight, strong motor and pushing through the breakers to go off shore. A 14' with a 25 isn't hitting anything.
Barring the obvious, as said above, the hull is usually not the problem, but the transom is a point of concern as are the integrity of the stringers, even the floor, as they help strength. IOW the force and weight of the motor at the transom is more of a worry than a wave against the bow. However, it is my understanding that water sitting IN the hull for a length of time can degrade the fiberglass since it's not sealed with gelcoat--has anyone else heard this, too?