Cap Glued To Hull What To Do?

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm getting ready to pull the cap on my 19' CC. Everything is loose except for this type of resin that sits between the stringers and the floor. The stringers are foam core, and are about 10" wide. What is the easiest way to get this bond freed up? I really can't get anything in there to cut it. I was thinking of putting tension on the cap and maybe hitting the floor with a rubber mallet, and hope the bond will break. Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Cap Glued To Hull What To Do?

When we used to remove windshields from cars we used a piano wire to cut the seal, Maybe the same concept would work? Is there room to work a wire between the cap and hull?

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's glued the length of the floor, no way to grab the other side of the string because it will end up against the side of the hull. But thanks for the idea, I could use that for other areas of the boat.

wambs8

Seaman

Hi

Are you trying to remove the deck/floor or the cap?

redfury

Commander

You must have an elaborate cap that creates the whole interior of the boat if you have to loosen it from the stringers. What kind of access do you have below the deck? You may have to cut an access hole to free the stringers from the cap. Otherwise, it may just be a light glue bond that is holding it and some tension could be enough to loosen the bond.

I think we need someone with some real world experience with this type of boat design to chime in...:redface:

jonesg

Admiral

I'm getting ready to pull the cap on my 19' CC. Everything is loose except for this type of resin that sits between the stringers and the floor. The stringers are foam core, and are about 10" wide. What is the easiest way to get this bond freed up? I really can't get anything in there to cut it. I was thinking of putting tension on the cap and maybe hitting the floor with a rubber mallet, and hope the bond will break. Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I don't get the connection between the stringers and the cap.
whats a 19'CC , (cuddy cabin or center console)?
what yr is it? ( old or newer design)

What is the reason for pulling the cap in the first place?

On mine I cut around the deck with a sawzall then pried the deck off, I left the cap on. After new stringers were in I glassed the original molded deck back.
I had left a 3 inch lip around the deck.

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are a few pics to try show what I'm talking about. You can see how the deck and cap are a one piece mold. You can also see the bonding material between the floor and stringers, it looks some type of foam from the picture but it is the same stuff you will see on the transom pics. The pics of the stringers were taken from a digital camera that a stuck down an 8" access hole. Thanks for any advise on how to get this loose.

Attachments

• Cap.JPG
    Cap.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Glue to stringer.JPG
    Glue to stringer.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Transom Glue.JPG
    Transom Glue.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 0
  • bonding material.JPG
    bonding material.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 0

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

A few pics of the boat from the exterior showing the whole boat from various points may help as well to determine assistance.:confused:

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are some pics of the exterior.

Attachments

• Inter resize.JPG
    Inter resize.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 0
  • outside resized.JPG
    outside resized.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Out Resized.JPG
    Out Resized.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 0
  • Transom resize.JPG
    Transom resize.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 0

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm a bit confused. So what is it you are trying to do? What's the repair job? Why do you need to get the whole cap off? Are we restoring the entire boat? Or are we just trying to replace a fuel line and this is over-kill???? Please be specific. Taking the cap off on such a boat usually means 100% restoration work. Stringers, transom, deck, seats, live-wells, upholstery, cup holders, and everything else you can think of.

jonesg

Admiral

ditto what Robert says,

as I said I sectioned my center console deck and pried the deck up, stand in the tank cutout and start prying.
My deck was bonded with foam, I glued it back with PL then glassed the cut line and painted over.

I've read a LOT of center console rehabs and have yet to see one where they got the complete liner out in one peice. I think you'll have a bugga of a time getting it back in too.

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm going to be replacing the transom and the deck. The underside of the deck is balsa cored, and rotted to about a mud consistency. Holes for the hatches were cut, with the edges never sealed. Srews were never sealed. Water got in and did its work. The stinger are foam cored and with a couple spot core drilled evrything in them seem perfect.

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I got the cap to start splitting from the hull this afternoon. I ended up making a chisel out of a 2x4 dropped it down an access hatch, and hit it with a mini-sledge will putting upward pressure with the chain hoist. Hopefully tomorrow I will get the cap up and off the hull.

Attachments

• Split Bond resize.JPG
    Split Bond resize.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 0

whisker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hi berry,
keep us tuned in..im going to tackle the same project this winter. please take plenty of photos to share and what you used etc.. thanks and good luck

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi berry,
keep us tuned in..im going to tackle the same project this winter. please take plenty of photos to share and what you used etc.. thanks and good luck

Thanks Whisker
I'll be sure to take plenty of pics and post them as go. Hopefully tomorrow or weds. I'll have some of the cap off of the hull.

Last edited:

jonesg

Admiral

Had the same deck problem, it was some sort of cored honeycomb that got wet, if any areas are swollen they will not go back flat again , at least mine didn't.

I re-cored the deck with something similar to seacast,
its rock hard compared to the trampoline it was.

I think the problem you face is having the liner and hull sides hold their shape until it goes back again.

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I was affraid of the not holding shape thing. I'm going to try and brace everything up while they are seperated to help hold the shape.
jonesg, since you used the seacast, is it true that it only bonds to poly resin and not epoxy?
If this true, could epoxy stick after it's hardened?

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tried today to get the rest of the deck freed up, but it just wasn't budging. Instead of stressing the cap to much with alot of upward pressure, I'm just going to cut the deck away from the cap and take the deck up in sectionsand trashing it. I just have to finish the top surface of the new deck. The problem I'm going to have is the current deck is off the stringers about 3/4" due to that banding resin that sits between them. The new deck I plan to install, will sit flush on top of the stringers, leaving a gap between the cap and new floor. Just not sure how I'm going to fill that in.

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I got the cap off today. I ended up having to cut the deck away from the cap, but thats no problem. Now I can just cut the deck into sections and pop them up one at a time. I also posted a pic of my missing transom. Digging around in there and all the wood seems to have turned into soil. I think this transom rot was caused by someone putting a hole in the transom for a fish finder transducer and not sealing the hole. Next week I'll start removing the floor and tank, that way I can get the new tank ordered, seeing that those seem to take a while to come in. Then I'll begin cleaning out the transom and getting it ready for the nida-bond.

Attachments

• Brace Resized.jpg
    Brace Resized.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 0
  • Cap Resized.jpg
    Cap Resized.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Hull Resized.jpg
    Hull Resized.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Hull2 Resized.jpg
    Hull2 Resized.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Transom3 Resized.jpg
    Transom3 Resized.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 0

jonesg

Admiral

jonesg, since you used the seacast, is it true that it only bonds to poly resin and not epoxy?
If this true, could epoxy stick after it's hardened?

seacast is polyester resin, promoted with MDA? and catalysed with BPO, it contains chopped up old glass boats and some cabosil,

so it will not chemically bond to epoxy but epoxy will stick to it.

Looks like you're well into the gut out job now:)

If I had known I woulda gone with nidacore, its half the price of seacast.
I hear its ceramic based, I wonder where all the old plates and coffee cups go.?