pre-mix to oil injected

wicked

Petty Officer 3rd Class
is it hard to change from pre-mix to oil injected on an outboard johnson 65hp, all the lakes around here are going eighter 4 stroke or oil injected in the near future.:mad:

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer
Re: pre-mix to oil injected

is it hard to change from pre-mix to oil injected on an outboard johnson 65hp, all the lakes around here are going eighter 4 stroke or oil injected in the near future.:mad:

used to premix until i fried the pistons by mixing it wrong... motor ran for about 30 miles before quiting on me.. then i decided to go with a motor with VRO and been happy since then....

some people dont like the VRO because they say the pumops are not reliable... i personaly disagree... i think johnson/evinrude came with a reliable pump, they are still in business and people still buying their motors..

is it hard? no idea... im sure someone out there had done it... you have to replace your fuel pump with a VRO which is not cheap.. then add a oil tank etc

if you have a small boat with a small gas tank i wouldnt bother.. its easier to mix and to figure out how much gas you have left in the tank.....

good luck

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

If they are actually going to restrict motors, they will most likely restrict it to 4 strokes or fuel injected 2 strokes. A oil injected carbureted 2 stroke motor is not really any cleaner than a pre-mix motor. Where do you live? I'd certainly find out the exact wording of the proposed motor regulation from the source, not some dude (like me :redface:), before taking any action.
You would not be able to convert from a carbureted motor to a fuel injected motor.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Installing an oil "injection" stem such as VRO or OMS will have little effect on the emissions from your motor. I'm guessing your local green regualtions may require 4 strokes or true direct injection 2 cycle motors. Simply installing a VRO/OMS does not make your motor a true low emission direct injection motor. These systems are more or less onboard pre mixers that virtually achieve the same thing as manual pre-mixing. Converting your motor to direct injection would be quite an engineering feat.

Edit... looks like TX offered pretty much the same advice.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

Like the other guys said, you're misunderstanding the change that is afoot - they'll be requiring 4 stroke or "DIRECT INJECTION" engines, which are different than "fuel injection" or "oil injection". They are the newest high tech 2 stroke, (EXPENSIVE) engines such as the Evinrude Etech or Mercury Optimax (and others).

As far as your question, you can make the change for about $500 or so:

Oil tank - $150-$200 retail, $50-100 used on ebay.

VRO/OMS fuel pump specific for your engine and alarms system: $450 retail, $300 discount online sellers.

Oil lines, connections, etc: maybe another $50

Pretty easy to do it yourself, maybe a couple hundred to have a shop install it.

wicked

Petty Officer 3rd Class

man for the price of a new 90 hp evinrude ($13,000), i think a whole new boat and motor for an extra $6,000 just might happen next year!!:D