Waterpump seal?

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was looking on craigslist and found a 1988 Force 125 for $750 The Gentalman says the waterpump seal needs to be replaced. is this a good deal and how hard is it to replace this? also anybody know if this would be to big for my 17" bayliner capri bowrider?

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Waterpump seal?

Probably maxed out size wise. A plate somewhere on the boat will tell you weight and motor limits. IMHO there are different seals at the water pump so the discription is a bit vague. If compression test is good and there is spark, the motor could be a good deal. Be cautious and be cautious. Could part it out for more. PS: I got a 125hp on a 19' Bayliner Capri with a good trailer for $1K as a comparison. So. Cal.

'

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

From your description, no one can really say if the engine is a good deal. We are not there to assess the overall condition. How does the engine generally look--clean or corroded? Does it have good compression? Is the inside of the cowl coated with oil, showing hard running or does it look like new? These are all questions that only you can answer. Still, you need to assume the worst. After all, it is sold as is and in this world it is buyer beware.

REMEMBER: Every engine sold is in running condition or was when it was stored, and every engine has only minor problems---until you get it home.

The seal, if it is in the water pump itself, is relativly inexpensive and easy to replace. HOWEVER: If the seal is the one below the water pump it will have leaked water into the lower unit and repairs COULD get expensive even though the seal itself is not.

If I were selling the same engine, I would be asking between 1000 and 1500, BUT, that is for an engine in perfect running condition, includes a new impeller and lower unit oil, mounting the engine on the boat, controls, a test run with the buyer, and my word that if anything mechanical breaks in the first season NOT DUE TO HIS NEGLIGENCE, I will make it right.

Personally, given that the owner is telling you there is a problem, I think 750 is too much. MAYBE, maybe if the engine is otherwise in good condition and shows some care and preventive maintenance, maybe 500 would be a fair price.

Interesting anecdote relating to the second paragraph. I had a fellow come to me with his Tower of Power 6 cylinder Mercury. When he stored it last season, it was in running condition. I know because I tried to ski behind it. When he brought it to me this year, it was seized. So, it does happen.

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks frank. I thought it was a little much. its not on a boat so I have no way to do spark or compression tests. BTW do you sell motors? thanks jeremy

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Yes, I do sell engines but only as a hobby. I acquire Force and Chrysler engines If they interest me and will fit into my collection or if they are a bargain. If someone comes along needing a repower, I will sell one of mine but I don't actively trade them or seek buyers.

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats cool. Wish I had the knowledge you have on these. I am back to trying to fix mine. If you have read my older post " first ride was kind of a success but need help" you would know my problem. Im not good with a multi meter and im kind of playing the guessing game. I have no spark to 1 cyl. and I have changed the coil and still nothing. What is the most commen other part that would cause just 1 cyl to have no spark? Stator, trigger, or CDI box. if you needed to guess and buy one witch would you purchase first?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Any one of the three can cause no spark on one cylinder. I don't have special testing meters so I do it by process of elimination--substitute a known good part and if that doesn't solve the problem, then go on to the next part.

The stator is relatively easy to test. Just check for resistance across each of the sets of terminals. If any terminal set shows infinite resistance or no resistance, then the stator is bad. Same thing with triggers and coils.

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not to sound stupid but how do you check resistance with a multi meter? I was told to use a DVA tester but I dont have one. I do have a nice digital multi meter but dont have the know how on how to use it.