Internal vs: Transom located Transducer

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just purchased a Hummingbird GPS-Fishfinder 161 with a transom mounted transducer. I'm really a 'cruising' sailor/not a fisherman. Using this as a depth sounder/GPS tool. 21 foot Rinker Cuddy kept on a trailer. What is your opinion. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each ..... or what is your opinion. Bilge or transom mounted transducer?

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Internal vs: Transom located Transducer

Just purchased a Hummingbird GPS-Fishfinder 161 with a transom mounted transducer. I'm really a 'cruising' sailor/not a fisherman. Using this as a depth sounder/GPS tool. 21 foot Rinker Cuddy kept on a trailer. What is your opinion. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each ..... or what is your opinion. Bilge or transom mounted transducer?

Boat is fiberglass I assume, I'd go with a shoot-thru hull install in the bilge. You can loose some efficiency, but don't have to worry about the xducer kicking up or sealing up holes in the transom. You also have to choose a good location and hope there are no air pockets in the glass, but once it's set, forget about it. My old glass boat had 1 mounted in the bilge for 15 years and I never touched it, on my aluminum boat I have to make sure it's pointing down, adjust it, check cables.

Also make sure your xducer can be mounted shoot-thru hull, I don't think the side scan ducers will work shoot-thru hull.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

What Dan said!

You can flood the bilge with a few inches of water to determine a suitable installation location. Mark it then drain and dry the bilge and install it. You will want to install it as far aft as possible to ensure it is in the water while on a plane.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

****, Since you are trailering the boat, it makes no real difference. If you keep it in the water, I would try to find an in-hull spot for it.

BTW- the transduces needs to be wet, not flooded. A cup of water dumped on the transducer will keep it wet all day. You do not need inches of water.