94 force150 electrical

dw98023

Recruit
Hope someone can give me an idea. I was using my battery to jump start another boat when another person started up my motor. The motor ran for a couple of minutes and before I could shut it off it died. No more spark! A couple days later when I went to work on it the motor started right up. Took the boat out and it ran great for a an hour or so. when I was going back to the launch and went down to idle it went dead again.

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 94 force150 electrical

... does the voltmeter indicate anything being put out, 13 volts+ when running? did you have the battery checked out under a load test at ur local autoshack?

john from md

Commander

We need some additional specifics. How long does it take to shut off? Is it repeatable? When you check your voltage with the engine running, is it between 13.5 and 15 volts?

John

dw98023

Recruit

When the motor is running it puts out around 14 volts. I ran the motor for awhile in the drive way at idle and it didn't have any trouble. took it out and ran it for an hour or so and vaiable speeds, shut it off resterted a couple of times and no trouble. Got back to the dock and while just putting it shut of. Got it home and the next day it started up?? The battery was brand new at the time,grp24. When it happens the motor still cranks over at good level.

john from md

Commander

What is your idle rpm in forward gear. It should be 750 rpm. If it is too low, this can happen.

John

dw98023

Recruit

I didn't keep track of what the rpm at idle is. this happened twice,once in just idle and i had no spark for a day or two. the second time it was in gear and i lost spark. what would reset itself. this just started after i jump started another boat.