cam shaft ?

winner228

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 4.3 vtec moter with the 2bbl carb in my boat and was wondering if a cam shaft out of a 1998 astro van would work to get wot rpm. im at 3900 now.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: cam shaft ?

has the motor ever run at the correct wot, 4400-4600 rpm?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... What's the matter with the cam in the motor Now,..??

winner228

Seaman Apprentice

no the motor has never run at the proper rpm the 4.3 thats in it now is out of a s10 pickup.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

well, yeah, there could be an issue with the cam esp. with an automotive set up. 4.3 liters have many different setup configurations, which is what makes it such a versatile motor. i heard once that there are over 40 different setups for the 4.3 since the introduction

there are many here who can give you lots and lots and lots of info on the 4.3

some say that 4.3 long block will bolt right up no changes needed others say you gotta change cam and other components

its an ongoing debate, with no end in sight

your best bet is to talk with someone who builds marine 4.3 longblocks and get some ideas from them

winner228

Seaman Apprentice

thanks can i give the numbers off the block so sombody can tell me what i have.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

you can try, and like i said, there are a lot of folks here who can give you info.

again, your best bet is to find somebody near you who rebuilds marine engines and talk to them face to face. they will be the ones who can give you the best advice.

try your local mercruiser dealer/repair shop, even if they don't rebuild the engines themselves, they will be able to direct you to the shop that does theirs