40hp twin year 69

mdhams

Cadet
was running fine then quit, changed fule,and ran good again,and now won't start again,won't fire-it's getting fuel,help! :confused: :confused:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 40hp twin year 69

Hi, Mike. Welcome to the board.<br /><br />Tell us more about your engine and what you have done so far.

mdhams

Cadet

i have cleaned the points reset gap to manuel spec. bought a new tank,line,connectors,checked fuel filter,i've checked for spark(not geting any)checked for spark with wire harnes disconected turnnig over with pull start rope,didn't see any damage to coils or wireing,cleaned contacts for coil and fly wheel.the engine was on the boat when i bought it,it is a two stroke,

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, again, Mike. Is there some reason you haven't mentioned the make of this engine?<br /><br />With no spark on either plug, I would get out my multimeter and see if the kill switch or its wiring have grounded both sets of points.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

trevorcday

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try removing the coils and have a good look at the insulation all around. often they will be cracked and burned (I am assuming this is a Johnson). The spark can then jump down to the mag plate. Also make sure there is nothing wrong with the kill circuit under the hood.

mdhams

Cadet

sorry about that the make is evinrude,how do i check the kill switch?i've taken the plate that everything (coil, points, and condencers)are connected to off and didn't see anything wrong. but i will take the coils off and check like you suggested,it also lookes as if someone has resently changed all of the componets of the ignition system,

mdhams

Cadet

sorry about that the make is evinrude,how do i check the kill switch?i've taken the plate that everything (coil, points, and condencers)are connected to off and didn't see anything wrong. but i will take the coils off and check like you suggested,it also lookes as if someone has resently changed all of the componets of the ignition system,

its-a-sweater

Seaman

If its a 1969 it won't have a kill switch. Are you sure you have power at the engine with the key on?

mdhams

Cadet

someone was telling me that there was a runaway protection vaccume operated switch that kills the motor in the event that you break a prop or something like that,could that be the problem?i just hate to take this to a marine machnic and pay $40-$60 per hour if it's something i can do right myself you know?it does have an older ignition switch

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not sure about your 1969 model, but on my 1960 Lark 40, the vacuum safety switch will kill one cylinder to slow down the engine during an overrev situation.<br /><br />I think your best course of action would be to buy a repair manual for $30-$35 at your local boat store.