1996 J50 hard to start after sitting a few days

mxdoug

Recruit
I'm hoping someone has had a similar issue with their OMC. If my J50 sits more than a couple of days it won?t start. Both cylinders loose spark, BUT if I continue to turn over the starter (off and on) for 5-10 minutes one cylinder will start to fire then in about a minute later both cylinders are firing. After that the engine will run perfect all day. I will do this same process every time I take the boat out. This last time I gave up after 10 minute without ever getting any spark. I have unplugged the ing-wires and jumped from the battery to the starter without any luck. Since the coil was cheap I replaced it first but it didn?t help. Something is telling me it?s the Stator but it could also be the Powerpack. These items are a little bit more money than the coil so if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated.
Doug
PS, the oil injection has also been disconnected
:mad:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1996 J50 hard to start after sitting a few days

most likely you are in a salt water environment, pull the flywheel clean the stator and pick up along with the interior of the flywheel. i have done this, rather than change the guts. just could be not getting good clean energygy.

PULLING FLYWHEEL

you need a harmonic balancer puller, you need 3 - #8 harden bolts, that fit the 3 holes in your flywheel. standard hardware store bolts will strip out, causing more problems. loosen the flywheel nut, leaving it on so it protects the thread. thread the bolts in 7/16 of an inch. then tighten the puller, adjust so it has a straight pull. now tighten the puller, rap the center bolt with a hammer, then tighten some more. you may have to let it sit over nite, and repeat in the morning. this is a compression fitting, it will eventually POP!!. do not loose the woodruff key that goes in the groove of the flywheel and the crank shaft. then installing the flywheel, it has to be totally clean, no oil, woodruff key in place. then torque the nut to the specifications for your particular motor. if you do not do this, the woodruff key with shear, and you will be repeating these steps.

Attachments

• removing fly wheel  paul moir.jpg
    removing fly wheel paul moir.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 0

mxdoug

Recruit

tashasdaddy,

Thanks for the quick reply. I pulled the flywheel over the weekend. I am in a salty environment but surprisingly the components look like new. (I keep the boat indoors) I will however recheck the flywheel and stator for rust and corrosion. If this isn?t it, any other suggestions?
Thx

jonesg

Admiral

all connections from the stator to the sparkplug are suspects, especially behind the coils, clean everything to shiny new metal.
Test the plug wires.

If it sparks eventually then it should spark initially.

mxdoug

Recruit

Thanks, I will check and clean everything.

mxdoug

Recruit

FYI, the Timer Base was bad.

Thx,

Doug