Smart Tab SX Install

craigkal

Cadet
What marine sealant should I use for the screw holes? How long does it need to sit until I can put it in the water?

I'm planning on doing the install at the lakehouse tonight (no internet there so hoping everything goes smooth) and then putting it in the water tomorrow morning. So hopefully I can put it in about 10 - 12 hours after install.

Also, does anyone know if the PR500 retractors work with the Smart Tabs SX?
I've seen some websites say they are only for the stainless steel tabs but on the nauticusinc site it has the pr500 listed as a replacement part for the SX tabs.

thanks in advance for the help.

Gryphon

Seaman
Re: Smart Tab SX Install

I am also about to install them (SX) this weekend. I believe most use 3M 5200, fast cure if you can find it. I was told to wait 24-48 hours before splashing after install and a full 7 days until its fully cured. That was for the non-fast cure.

I also have PR500 to install. They will work on SX, just wont work to act as a protroller but will act to raise them when not needed, i.e. wakeboarding etc.

A question of mine is do you just put some 5200 in the screw hole and then put the screw in? Does enough stay in clace to form a seal?

Hope that helps?

craigkal

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I'll pick up some 3M 5200. I was reading about the fast cure version and it is supposed to be 'tack free' in a 1 hour and cured in 24 hours, hopefully they have that at the local marine supply place.

Good to know about the pr500. I just want to be able to retract them for wakeboarding. I haven't ordered the retractors yet, just going to install the tabs this weekend and then order the pr500 later next week. I know i'll have to remove the top brackets and put the new ones in but i'm ok with that.

My plan is to just squirt a little in the screw hole and maybe put a little on the threads of the screw also.

Good luck to both of us with our installs.

southtexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Craig, if you're going to install the tabs using 5200 and then take them off next week to add the new part, I'd save the trouble and just wait. The 5200 sets very well, and you might have trouble/make a mess removing the screws.

And yes to the other post regarding putting 5200 in the holes. Squeeze a bunch in there, cover the screw threads with it, put some on the bracket itself. Any excess will wipe right off so long as you clean immediately after install. You really can't use too much.

StoutMann

Cadet

From what I've read on here several different times is that the 5200 is for stuff you never plan to remove and the 4200 is for things you might have to remove. Kind of like the difference between red and blue loctite. Good luck.

BumbleBeeTuna

Seaman

I'm kicking myself for not installing my SX's yesterday. I'm going out in the morning and I wont be able to give it 24 hours to cure with the quick cure kind.

I bought the 4200 in case for some reason they needed to come off.

I've read quite a few posts about the 4200 working successfully.

craigkal

Cadet

Just went to my local marine supply, they only had the 4200 quick cure so I bought that. Looks like that's the best bet for me since I plan to replace the top brackets with the pr500s later.

BumbleBeeTuna

Seaman

Just went to my local marine supply, they only had the 4200 quick cure so I bought that. Looks like that's the best bet for me since I plan to replace the top brackets with the pr500s later.

You still plan to get them wet with 12 hours cure time?

Gryphon

Seaman

Good to know about the pr500. I just want to be able to retract them for wakeboarding. I haven't ordered the retractors yet, just going to install the tabs this weekend and then order the pr500 later next week. I know i'll have to remove the top brackets and put the new ones in but i'm ok with that.

I beleive that the PR500 use different holes than the stock brackets so you may not want to drill a set only to have to fill them in a week or two. I can check when I get home to look at the hole patterns but that was why I waited until I got the PR500's to install the tabs. If you plan to redo them, then 4200 is what you want.

craigkal

Cadet

You still plan to get them wet with 12 hours cure time?

Yeah. i don't have the package next to me but I think it said 24 cure time at 70 degrees. It's 100 here in Texas so i'm sure it will cure quicker. The tack free time was 1 - 2 hours.

craigkal

Cadet

I beleive that the PR500 use different holes than the stock brackets so you may not want to drill a set only to have to fill them in a week or two. I can check when I get home to look at the hole patterns but that was why I waited until I got the PR500's to install the tabs. If you plan to redo them, then 4200 is what you want.

yeah, i read that they mounted in a slightly different location. i'm ok with drilling another set of holes.

I might not even order the PR500s right away. I'm just started learning wakeboarding last week so very little wake is fine with me for a while. We mostly use the boat for slaloming.

I got the 4200 so hopefully everything turns out ok. If I have to do some patching then so be it, i'm not going to fret about it too much.

BumbleBeeTuna

Seaman

yeah, i read that they mounted in a slightly different location. i'm ok with drilling another set of holes.

I might not even order the PR500s right away. I'm just started learning wakeboarding last week so very little wake is fine with me for a while. We mostly use the boat for slaloming.

I got the 4200 so hopefully everything turns out ok. If I have to do some patching then so be it, i'm not going to fret about it too much.

I would undoubtedly live a few more years if I could be so nonchalant about these things.

craigkal

Cadet

I would undoubtedly live a few more years if I could be so nonchalant about these things.

I'm a car guy and would be worried if I was messing up my daily driver and not having a car for a few days. I boat is for me to enjoy on the weekends, not really worth fretting over, just do what you need to so you can get it in the water.

I also paid relatively little for my boat because the guy didn't use it and just wanted it gone. It just sat for a few years so I rebuilt the carb and it fired right up. If I had spent considerably more or had gotten a much newer boat then I would be more nervous about it but for me this is just a hobby and should be fun, if i have a problem i'll just fix it and move on.

witenite0560

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used RTV, too. Put some in the holes and a little dab on the first 1/4" of screw threads. Then as you screw it in it'll be spread up the shank. It doesn't take a lot. Remember too, it doesn't do any good to gob a bunch of sealant of any kind all over the screw head, unless you're just trying to hide the head under a gob of goo. The important place for the sealant is between mating surfaces.

southtexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My opinion on curing time---I used a bunch of 5200 in the screw holes. I installed them at the dock, then immediately launched the boat and took a spin. I worried in the beginning about it, but it's been months with no problems. If you use the right sized bit, you will hear the screws chewing into the fiberglass when you secure them by hand. This alone probably makes a good enough seal w/out the 5200.

So, I say no worries, if you put em on right, use a bunch of sealant (but clean up remainder on head of screw), and you shouldn't have any problems--go boating and have fun.

BTW, The tabs really are as good as everyone says, and so is the customer service you get from nauticus...

craigkal

Cadet

Smart Tabs are installed now. Here are some pictures.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/3979/img0085tdo.jpg
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4880/img0086c.jpg
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4772/img0087k.jpg
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9172/img0088aaw.jpg

These things work great. I can't say how much the tabs did alone, though, since I put a Mercury High Five prop on at the same time. My boat shoots out of the water now, planes almost instantly, and tops out at 47 mph. I am very pleased.

I did use the 3M 4200 sealant and put the boat in the water about 12 hours later. Everything was fine. The screws fit in very snug so I wasn't worried about it leaking. I squirted some sealant in the holes and the coated the threads of the screws with it.

Instead of putting the bracket up and sketching the holes I just taped the brackets where I wanted them and drilled the holes through them. This made it very easy.

If you are on the fence about buying smart tabs just go ahead and get them. I definitely feel it was worth it. My brother and wife both drove the boat before and after and said it was like a whole new boat.

ezez

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been trying to figure out how to get them on my boat but I just don't think they'll fit.

smarttabs.jpg

craigkal

Cadet

you can mount them under the part where the transom stick out. the bracket for the tab would go at the bottom of the hull and the top of the 'shock' would be mounted on the bottom side of where the transom sticks out.

Check this picture.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m250/nelain/Boat/2006_0802Image0019-1.jpg

that's a picture that "nlain" (member here) posted in the 'Post a picture of your boat' thread.

i think if you installed it so that the 8" was where the shock is that you would be fine. i've heard that the people from nauticus are very helpful and I'm sure if you sent them that pic that they could help you figure something out.

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

As you said " I'm a car guy and would be worried if I was messing up my daily driver and not having a car for a few days. "

That is really not gonna work on the water. Are you Just going to pull over at the nearest gas station. You lose those on the water and you might just be up to your a-hole in water in the middle of the lake. Maybe you can swim for it, how about the wife & Kids ? Do you have a PFD ?

Pardon me if I seem straight forward but you really need to understand the consequences of your decision to hap-hazzardly mound something under the waterline on a boat.

Think about what you really are doing . . .