87 150 Merc blowing main fuse

coastalrichard

Lieutenant
Greetings (again!) to all.

1987 150 Black Max (Ser #A933516): I blew the main 20A fuse. Same symptoms as others have indicated - no power to gauges, trim or starter. Found one side of the fuse holder was bad and replaced it. Figured that would take care of the problem. Nope, kept blowing the fuse.

Many of the threads regarding fuses led me to trace and check wiring with the tilt/trim. Voila, found a loose/corroded connection on the black/white stripe wire coming off the port side of the tilt. I repaired the connection. As far as I can tell all other connections are clean, tight and there are no apparent abrasions in the wiring between the motor and controls (I also checked inside the control box). I'll know as soon as I get on the water if this has remedied my fuse problem!

Since I don't know if my additional issue is related in some way to the fuse issue, I will ask.

I have lost my tach. Nothing. Doesn't "zero" with key on and doesn't read. I should also say that I recently replaced the rectifier (yep, with the OEM part:mad:) followed by the stator but did not replace the voltage regulator (black potted type; two wires).

Here's my $64K questions:

1. Would a failing/failed voltage regulator cause my main fuse to blow or affect my tach?

2. Could the rectifier be fried again - so soon?

BTW, I've tried to view "www.tflx.com/PDF/99320.pdf" (tach troubleshooting page from Teleflex) and the link is broken. Anyone have a good link?

Thanks!

coastalrichard

Lieutenant
Re: 87 150 Merc blowing main fuse

Thanks John...you're the champ!

(Now I guess the only question left is should I buy stock in either BUSS or CDI, or both?)