wireless router running on 12 volt

Wet Wonder

Seaman
Hi, Is there a wireless router that runs from DC 12-volt? I have a PORT NETWORDS client bridge antenna that I use to pick up the internet, which is DC 12 volt. I'd like to put the bridge into a wireless router so I can have internet access from anywhere on the boat, and so guests w/ laptops can as well.

My house bank is exclusively charged by solar panels on the hard top. I don't have a generator nor inverter. Is there a DC powered wireless router that anyone knows about?

Thanks,
WW

i386

Captain
Re: wireless router running on 12 volt

Not sure about a particular router but I may have a solution. You can use an inverter. It's powered by your 12V DC and provides a 110V AC outlet. The small ones don't put out a lot of current but can easily run eletronic devices.

Search for "inverter" in the iBoats marine store. They have quite a range of them.

Wet Wonder

Seaman

It's just my personal preference to go all 12volt, and not wanting to use the inefficiency of an inverter. I'm just wondering if there is a 12v DC powered wireless router if anyone knows.
Thanks

Splat

Lieutenant

The linksys sitting on my desk right next to me is 12v dc.

It has a wall wort that plugs into the wall, but it converts it down to 12vdc.

Most will run like this.

Bill

Wet Wonder

Seaman

Can I have yours? You tbink splicing the wire to and making a 12vDC might do it? I have an old router - I'll see if it's 12v and experiment with it.

Nobody

Seaman

The Linksys WRT54 runs on 12volts and is one of the more versatile routers around in terms nifty firmware updates.