johnson 2002 115hp runs rough

Dirty Rich

Recruit
Hello
I?m having running issues with my 120hp 2002 Johnson w/ about 40 hours on it.
The motor has not been fiddled with, only things changed were normal routine maintenance parts.. Spark plugs, water pump, filter, etc.

Okay, this is a little history of what happened.
The motor was running completely fine up until last week.
Until I took the boat out into rough seas for a few hours. The motor started to run real rough and had loss of power, so I pulled of the bonnet to find the two left side plug wires hanging off.
Assuming this was the issue I put the wires back onto the correct plugs to find the motor still running just as rough as when they were off.
I just figured that I had fouled the plugs from loading up the cylinders. So I drove the boat home (about an hour)
When I put new plugs in at home the motor runs a little better but not even close to what it used to.
The idle is extremely rough and the boat shakes until about 2500 Rpm then it clears out and runs smooth.
I?m getting spark at all cylinders
Compression is perfect on all cylinders
I pulled all the plugs out again after putting another 3 hours on motor and all looked exactly the same.
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance... Rich

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer
Re: johnson 2002 115hp runs rough

Hello
I?m having running issues with my 120hp 2002 Johnson w/ about 40 hours on it.
The motor has not been fiddled with, only things changed were normal routine maintenance parts.. Spark plugs, water pump, filter, etc.

Okay, this is a little history of what happened.
The motor was running completely fine up until last week.
Until I took the boat out into rough seas for a few hours. The motor started to run real rough and had loss of power, so I pulled of the bonnet to find the two left side plug wires hanging off.
Assuming this was the issue I put the wires back onto the correct plugs to find the motor still running just as rough as when they were off.
I just figured that I had fouled the plugs from loading up the cylinders. So I drove the boat home (about an hour)
When I put new plugs in at home the motor runs a little better but not even close to what it used to.
The idle is extremely rough and the boat shakes until about 2500 Rpm then it clears out and runs smooth.
I?m getting spark at all cylinders
Compression is perfect on all cylinders
I pulled all the plugs out again after putting another 3 hours on motor and all looked exactly the same.
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance... Rich

ver posible carbs might be dirty... do a decarb and go from there.. if prblem persists probably ignition issue... did you replace the wires??? if im not mistaken even if you have spark that doesnt mean the spark is good/strong... good luck

krogie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: johnson 2002 115hp runs rough

when you test your plugs with a spark tester you allways ground the other plugs, this is to keep from doing damages to your coil and powerpack . you ran for quit a while with out 2 wires grounded! i would swap coils and test powerpack to make sure these did not get damaged , i feel this may be a good place to start.