11' + 6 Hp = Ok?

gobigkahuna

Seaman
Any thoughts on whether a 6 HP (4 cycle Tohatsu) will be big enough for an 11 foot inflatable (Saturn) with 2 adults and roughly 50 lbs of gear? We'll be cruising mostly in flat to small chop protected water. Any idea how fast and how much fuel we'll burn with that sort of configuration? Thanks!

jimandsue60

Seaman
Re: 11' + 6 Hp = Ok?

What size adults? How fast would you like to go. Do you want to get on plane? 50 Pounds isn't much gear. A 3 gallon gas tank will weigh a tad over 20 pounds.

Jim

gobigkahuna

Seaman

I weight 250 and my wife weighs 110, so 360 lbs plus another 50 lbs of gear (water sports equipment mostly) plus 20 lbs of fuel. We only plan on venturing through the sounds and shorelines here on the outer banks in decent weather, so the wind chop will likely be less than a foot or two. I'd like to be able to get up on a plane just to help with the pounding when going up wind. I got a reply from the Saturn dealer and he said the 10' should get up on a plane with a 6 HP pretty easily, so we might go with that. Incidentally, both boats have inflatable floors. What do you think?

jimandsue60

Seaman

If you already have the engine give it a try. If you don't have the engine I would go bigger. I would try to stick close to what the max hp the boat is rated for. What is it rated for?

Jim

Drowned Rat

Captain

That boat will not plane with that load and a 6 hp. 9.9 hp min.

sidthekid

Seaman Apprentice

I agree, I have an '8-6" Baltik with a 7.5 two stroke on it. I'm 200 lbs and it will get on plane if I lean forward. Once it's on plane I can sit normally. With my wife or one kid on board, no way. It has an air floor also and I love it. I'll be looking for a 9.9. I could go a little larger, but then weight becomes an issue as far as removing the motor and transferring it back to the boat...Sid

gobigkahuna

Seaman

I've got 3 issues I'm trying to balance: budget (total out of pocket under $2500), weight (I need to be able to carry it around in the back of my mini pickup without a trailer), and carrying capacity (it needs to be able to carry me, my wife and some not so heavy gear). I really don't want to go any smaller than 10'. I've been watching for a used outboard on craigslist for over a year and haven't seen anything worth spending money on. They're all 20+ years old and real "beaters". So used is a dead end. Bummers...

Drowned Rat

Captain

Well, unless you need a 4 stroke for some reason, look for a 2 stroke 9.9 hp. That'll save a little weight. Keep checking for used motors, something will pop up. Good luck.

Dmitry

Seaman Apprentice

Your best bet is Yamaha 15hp two stroke. It will plane well with load, it is relatively ok to carry. Any smaller than this and you will wish you had more, any heavier and you will wish you had less when you start moving it around...

Dmitry

Seaman Apprentice

And certainly don't buy that engine you mentioned. 6HP is way too small, and four stroke is not good for an engine you want to toss around. It will be heaver than it has to be, plus you have to watch how you carry it and how you lay it down because it is filled with oil. Get a nice 2 stroke while you still can...

gobigkahuna

Seaman

Where can you buy a 2 stroke new in the US? I certainly haven't found any. As I said before, I've been watching craigslist within 100 miles of here for almost a year and a half. The only outboards that go on the market are either small (4 hp or less, probably used for trolling), too big (50 hp and up), ancient (60's vintage) or completely trashed. I've started to watch the listings on eBay, but haven't seen any close to here and shipping has been pricey. Best deal I found on a new Tohatsu 9.8 hp 4 cyc was $1700 (pretty good price I think). The only new 2 cycles I've seen have been a Chinese outboard I've never heard of being sold out of Canada (the brand name is "Parsun" or "Sail"). Still looking though...

Dmitry

Seaman Apprentice

Don't know about US, but up in Canada they still sell Yamahas. And US Yamaha web site has them too.

davdworld2k6

Recruit

hey i have a 7.5 hp engina an i anna put it on a seylor inflatable with a motor mount that is rated for a 3.5 but it can take 35 lbs i think my engine is about that weight

gobigkahuna

Seaman

After a year and a half of watching Craigslist I -finally- found (and bought) what I think is a good deal on an outboard. I picked up a 1997 Evinrude 15hp that looks to be very well cared for. It's got an electric starter (which I don't plan on using), and started easily on the first pull while still cold. I couldn't be happier with it. Now I'm thinking I'll go with the 12' inflatable floor boat instead (it's a foot longer but the specs say it only weighs 10 lbs more and is rated to 30 hp). The customer testimonials claim it'll fly with a 15hp, so I should be golden. :)

gobigkahuna

Seaman

Thanks. I've got a couple other questions while I've got your attention... ;)

First, what do you recommend I use for the hull numbers? The boat I'm getting is the Saturn 12', which is PVC. I remember on my last boat (also PVC) I ran into this problem before. I ended up using "magic markers" which eventually faded and had to be re-applied every so often. I also recall that some other people recommended using acrylic spray paint (with stencils and masked off). I plan on rolling the boat up between uses. What do you folks recommend?

And second, is there any particular place and method that you recommend I secure the fuel tank? I just picked up an el cheapo 6 gallon tank at WalMart, but I'm guessing it will want to bounce around in the chop. Any suggestions?

Incidentally, I also ordered the electric pump and a set of those wheels that mount on the transom. I should have everything by he end of next week. :)

paulpost

Banned

Hi, my opinion would be to order extra D-rings and glue them on the inside of the boat so you can secure the gas tank and any other stuff like scuba tanks or coolers. On boatstogo site they have something new called snap-lock buckle attachment, this can be better for securing a gas tank.
Paul

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

I have a very similar setup. Take a look at the double seat from boats to go. It transformed the boat for me. I initially had both a single and a double, but the 15hp Yamaha had trouble planing with both seats, 2 adults and a 7 year old, so I just used the double seat. I was never comfortable sitting on the bench at planing speed.