200 HP Merc, idles but pops and snaps with throttlw

notfishing

Cadet
I have a 200 HP Merc that idles fine but when I give it throttle it pops and snaps. I've replaced the plugs, fuel pump, filter, bulb. What should I try next, anyone?

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 200 HP Merc, idles but pops and snaps with throttlw

I have a 200 HP Merc that idles fine but when I give it throttle it pops and snaps. I've replaced the plugs, fuel pump, filter, bulb. What should I try next, anyone?

Which 200?

notfishing

Cadet

V6, carburated. Not sure on the 2.0 or 2.4. Mounted on?

j_martin

Admiral

I wish you weren't so verbose.:D

First check the link n sync. If the linkage and timing are correct, then go after idle mixture. If it's adjustable, richen it up 1/2 turn at a time. If not, it's carb cleaning time.

Assuming it idles smoothly on all 6, reeds would be fine.

hope it helps
John

notfishing

Cadet

My apologies with lack of detail! I'm new at this forum thing and not sure how wordy to be.
I called one mechanic just now and they want to run some tests first. I'm wondering if it might be the stator. Some of the previous posts mention that.
It didn't come with a manual. Where could I find the info on the timing and linkage?

macdaddy

Cadet

My apologies with lack of detail! I'm new at this forum thing and not sure how wordy to be.
I called one mechanic just now and they want to run some tests first. I'm wondering if it might be the stator. Some of the previous posts mention that.
It didn't come with a manual. Where could I find the info on the timing and linkage?

Link and sync: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=168855