Need a direction to go

WICKED FX4

Cadet
I have a 2005 merc 4.3L. It will not go to normal wide open trottle rpms. I have new fuel, new fuel filter, new plugs, wires, coil and cap and rotor. I have noticed that when on the water that one exhaust manifold is warm to touch and other is cold. Block is a reman from rapido marine and i have checked compression and all is good across the board within 7 psi on all cylinders. I no nothing about carbs and was wondering if it is posible that i may have gumed up carb or somthing like that. Its just weird to me that the exhaust manifold temps are different and that is what is leading me to think carb because it is bank specific. Please help.

Showtime22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need a direction to go

Engines run on Gas, Air, and Spark...

To check gas you could remove the fuel line to the carb and have a friend crank it while catching the fuel in a jar.

Did it run 100% recently? Has anything changed?

WICKED FX4

Cadet

yea i took it out on saturday and it ran fine coming from the dock and we were cruising for about 10 min in some choppy water and my cousin couldnt drink his beer. so i stopped and sat about 20 min and started it up and then it happened. i forgot to mention that it was surging a little as we limped it back to the dock.

Showtime22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it on a trailer now or in the water?

Anytime I can't get going on the water I throw it in reverse and check for weeds slowing the prop. Does it run okay on muffs?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I think surgeing is a fuel delivery issue, check filters.
there are a couple of spring loaded balls above the thermostat on my merc 260, if they stick, "I think" it would impact water delivery the exhaust manifolds?
rob

Bondo

Staff member

I have noticed that when on the water that one exhaust manifold is warm to touch and other is cold.

Ayuh,..... That's pretty much Normal,... They're never the Same temp...
I no nothing about carbs and was wondering if it is posible that i may have gumed up carb or somthing like that.

Ayuh,... It's time to Learn about Carbs,...
Your motor is suffering from a Fuel Delivery Issue,...
It can be Anything from the Tank, to the Carb, or All of it...