shift rod measuring tool? early 80's v-4

outboardnut

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking to make or buy a shift rod tool.....
found this measurment and saw a picture of a homemade one out of wooden ruler sticks:
needs to be set at 21.834" +/- .036" for a long shaft (20") or 26.834" +/- .036" for the extra long shaft motors. 21.834 is about 21-27/32

Anyone know the part number for the factory tool or what it looks like? I'm not sure how much they are or if they are available.

If anyone knows what a good measurement to space the ruler sticks apart it would be very helpfull.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: shift rod measuring tool? early 80's v-4

The measuring special tool is called a Shift Rod Height Tool and is part number 0324819, now superseded to part number 0389997. It lists for around $214.88 US. I believe that you can purchase it from any BRP dealer or online from ishopmarine.com or marineengine.com among others.

I posted a simple substitute made from two inexpensive yardsticks and a crosspiece on several occasions - costs 10 minutes and maybe $1.00. Once you set the crosspiece accurately, you can staple or glue it in place and use it as often as needed.

Whatever you use must measure accurately from the mating surface of the gearcase to the center of the hole in the top of the shift rod. I place the ends of the yardsticks on the mating surfaces of the gearcase and set the crosspiece so that the top edge of it is where I want the center of the hole to be.

Attachments

• Shift rod tool.JPG
    Shift rod tool.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 0

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I know the manual says to use the "special" tool, and it's a pretty precise measurement, but you know the the offset at the top of the shift rod has to be on the port side -- that right there gives you one full turn of tolerance -- heck it's probably +/- 1/16", maybe more. I do it with a regular old tape measure that doesn't even have 32nds marked off, haven't missed yet.

outboardnut

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had no idea the factory ones were that high. Looks like I'm going to build have to build one or use a tape.
I think I am leaning towards building one.......a little nervous about getting the measrement right.

Did not know anything about the rod needing to be towards the port side to measure either? I don't have a factory manual and am just dealing with my POS aftermarket ones....doesn't scratch the subject.

A suggested stick width would be greatly appreciated. I'm a little uneasy about trying to hit such an exact number with my crummy tape measure......may just do the even inches with it and compare with another tape....then use the calipers to hit the 27/32".

I'm guessing when you use a tape you just look for the 7/8 eyeballing and go just a hair back?
You're turning the offset so it is closer to the edge?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

It does not need to be towards the port when measuring but it would only change by 90 degrees if it were.

The hole in the shift rod offset needs to be placed in such a manner that you can center it on whatever device you use to measure it. When replacing the gearcase the offset goes back facing forward so that the pin goes through the hole in the shift rod offset from the side.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

That OMC guage is far from the last word in precision. A metal yard stick, and a combination 12" square will put you just as close. I would like to make, and sell that OMC tool for that kind of money.