vacuflush troubleshoot

RisqueBznss

Seaman Apprentice
Got a new cruiser last yr w/ vacuflush. It's not flushing this year after winterizing. Of course it got used, and whew, time to solve the problem!

anyone got some troubleshooting steps?

either to clear an obstruction(dont know if that is the case)

Or any other trouble shooting steps for the vacuflush.

I noticed my winterizing mechanic left open a water valve for my hot water heater so are there any other valves I should check for the vacuum toilet operation?

RisqueBznss

Seaman Apprentice
Re: vacuflush troubleshoot

the bowl should drain even without vacuum shouldn't it? or not? If liquid should drain no matter what then I probably have a clog.

45Auto

Commander

Couple of things we'll need to know first. "Not flushing" is pretty vague ....

1) Is the vacuum pump running when you turn on the switch?

2) If it's not running, that's problem #1. You need to find out why not. Check for 12 volts at the pump with the switch turned on. If no 12 volts at the pump, check for 12 volts at the vacuum tank cut-off switch. If either the motor or switch is bad, you'll have to replace them.

3) If the pump is running, the most common problems are clogged or bad duckbill seals. The duckbill seals let the system build vacuum and hold it in when the cut-off switch turns the pump off at 9" of vacuum.

4) Remove the duckbill valves and clean them if clogged or replace them if deformed. The "lips" should meet perfectly flat with no gap between them or the pump can't build or hold vacuum.

5) If pump is running and seals are good, check for vacuum at toilet. If no vacuum at toilet the hose is clogged. Remove hose at toilet and try to suck it clear with a shop vac.

It's a pretty simple system. Needs a line with no clogs (tampons, etc) from toilet to vacuum tank to vacuum pump. Needs functioning duckbill seals to build and hold vacuum. Needs a functioning vacuum cut-off switch to turn the vacuum pump off once sufficient vacuum is established. Needs a running vacuum pump to build vacuum.

Good luck!

wingless

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Only liquids and solids processed by a human are acceptable for the Vacuflush.

On mine, I had success with a plunger to clear a clog.

Mine was developing vacuum, but clogged. I also increased the vacuum first by holding the switch active to try and free the clog, but that didn't work.

I now periodically fill the bowl to the top w/ water and flush that slug of water through the system to help keep the system nice and clean. I think that helps lots!

Another owner used the pumpout vacuum to pull their obstruction clear to the head by blocking the vent and opening the head flush. Their boat permitted observation of the tank, to prevent the vacuum from collapsing the tank. The tank is NOT designed for a vacuum and WILL collapse if not careful.

I would mostly fill the tank w/ water to help prevent collapse if using the pumpout vacuum to free the obstruction. Also, the macerator seacock should be shut to avoid flipping those duckbills from reverse flow.

My concern is opening a hose full of waste. It is likely the smell from spilled waste will remain forever.

RisqueBznss

Seaman Apprentice

I have water pressure switch and shower pump switch. Water pressure works. Is the vacuum switch below deck near the waste tank? I can't say I hear anything as far as vacuum generator running.

I checked the bowl for a clog and appears to be clean however the bowl will not drain at all when pressing the pedal, just a little gurgle. Must be a clog down the line somewhere.