Mercury 650, need a little help

rsm688

Cadet
Well I'm new here and very impressed with the site so far. Anyways, I just bought a 73' Glastron Gt-150 with a 73' Mercury 650 65hp outboard on it and have a few problems I need to take care of. The motor and lower unit were rebuilt about 5 years ago (according to previous owner) and was bored out and ported and all and has about 80hp now. Anyways, it fires up everytime you touch the key and idles great but I believe the shifter/throttle cables need some adjusting.

Here is my problem:

Motor starts and idles great, when I rev it up with the motor in neutral with the little idle lever it will rev up great and feels like it will go full throttle. However when I push the shifter forward I feel it kick into neutral and the RPM's drop real low until I push it all the way forward, even when pushed all the way forward it feels like the motor is only at maybe 1/3 or 1/2 the RPM's that it does when in Neutral or that it should run. The motor runs fine then but it feels like I am just halfway throttling it.

I have looked and cant find a service manual online and am trying to figure out how to adjust the throttle cable and shifter linkage, does anyone have a link or a write up on how to do it? Any other ideas on what my problem could be?

Also, when I remove the housing there is no air filter. Should there be an air filter on my motor? I am new to boats but have been working on auto's for years, I got to thinking about it and thought maybe it didnt have a filter because you dont have dust and dirt on the water like you do on a road but still curious.

Thanks,
Spencer

rsm688

Cadet
Re: Mercury 650, need a little help

Also, I am going to need a new prop as there is a chunk out of one of the blades on the one on it now. The boat is pretty light (it's 15.5 feet and stock seats have been replaced with small bucket seats, guessing the hull without motor weighs around $600 pounds) and the current propeller is a 16 degree pitch. I am not going to be using the boat for skiing and just using it to cruise around and can't decide between getting another 16 degree pitch prop or a 15 degree. I would like the boat to be able to accelerate quick but also want it to cruise pretty quickly on the water. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Spencer

divinginn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It sounds like dirty carbs to me,try cleaning out the jets.

rsm688

Cadet

It sounds like dirty carbs to me,try cleaning out the jets.

I was thinking it would not be carb related because it idles great and with the cold start up lever it will go full throttle, it just feels like the throttle is not engaging all the way

Moody Blue

Captain

NO way your 650 motor is producing 80hp. The previous owner told you quite a story ;)

Your best bet to resolve the throttle issue would be to perform a complete sync and link procedure. There is a very good "how to" in the FAQ section.