Vizio SV470M HDTV

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
End of May our old Sony 32" TV from 1985 finally died. Started doing research on HD LCD TV's. A number of HD forums talked about the Vizio line of LCD TV's and how good they were. Turns out Walmart carries the 47" model I was interested in. A few days ago I finally broke down and bought the set.

We are still waiting for the Dish Network installer to come, but in the meanwhile we were watching some Bluray DVD's and regular DVD's on it. I can tell you that this is one of the finest LCD HDTV sets for the money out there. Sharp, crisp, lots of adjustment if you don't like the factory settings, and it has 4 hdmi inputs, as well as many other choices.

One thing I read about it was because its a 120 hz model, some videos look 3D. I didn't realize what they ment util I watched it. Amazingly, some sceens to look 3D, often when the background is blurred and the forground is sharp.

The Smooth Motion software makes a world of difference on the pans. No more jitter in the picture. Amazing.

Anyway, just thought I would share that with you all.

dlindeblad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Vizio SV470M HDTV

For the price you can't beat the Vizio, but put it nest to a more expensive Sony Bravia or even a Pioneer and hands down there is a major difference in contrast ration and PPI.

I own a 42" Toshiba myself.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Yep, Vizio is a good bargain.

Annnnnnd... I'm waiting for the 240 Hz refresh models to show up. Some are already out there. :D

pduquette

Ensign

I picked up Vizio's 1080p 32" a in Feb. - one of the few 32" thats not 780p. I'm only using the internal dtv + dvd's and am always impressed with its picture. Only wish I could have gone bigger - like 2'itus in boating !:D peter

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have a 42" LG in the living room and recently bought a refurbed 37" Visio for the den. I actually much prefer the Vizio. My main beef with the LG is the remote. The Vizio has a simpler and easier to use remote and works from anywhere in the room. Half the time I want to throw the LG's remote out the window.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

One of the reasons I went with the Visio was a posting on AVS forums where changes to the picture settings resulted in a much higher quality picture than the factory default settings (and there are about 6 or 8 defaults to choose from). This results in a picture that rivals LCD screens costing twice the price.

Anywho... It is an amazing TV for the price. Of course, now that I bought one, it will be discontinued, and a better set will be sold for less. Its just the way of the electroinics biz. :D

pduquette

Ensign

Have either of you tecno-wizzes tried hooking your laptop to your tv through the pc/rgb hookup ? I'm itching to try it - seeing my boat on a 32" monitor :eek: Is there a better way to connect the 2? peter

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Have either of you tecno-wizzes tried hooking your laptop to your tv through the pc/rgb hookup ? I'm itching to try it - seeing my boat on a 32" monitor :eek: Is there a better way to connect the 2? peter

Not yet! Unfortunatelly, my laptop does not have a monitor output, but the Dish network box has a USB port where pics and (i think) video can be loaded to the hard drive in it. Then played on the screen. Haven't tried that either.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

Purchase a VGA cable and connect it between the laptop and the TV. To turn on the VGA output, hold down the Function (FN) key while pressing the F key with the little picture of a monitor. Commonly F8 or F5. Pressing once will turn on the VGA with the laptop's screen. Pressing it again will turn off the laptop's screen. Pressing it a third time will cycle back to the laptop's screen alone.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Our LCD is constantly hooked up to a PC. I bought a Dell desktop PC that's in a horizontal case so it happily sits under the TV like a VCR would. It's a homebrew DVR running that BeyondTV software I mentioned above. It works great.

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class

I own 3 Vizios. a 42", a 32", and a 26". All are 1080p full HD. I have the RGB cable that I use on the 42" with my laptop in the living room. The picture is as good as or better than my LCD monitor.

I love their products. I had a Sony 42" LCD and it was plagued with problems right from the start. I owned it for less than 2 years. It was in the shop for nearly 3 months of the 2 years, having everything from backlights to main boards replaced. It finally was out of warranty and broke again. I said forget it and went with the Vizio at 1/2 the price. Best move I ever made.

My 42" Vizio has an LG screen inside (I can see the sticker on it through the vents in the back). The TV is made in America (probably assembled in the US only), and if you ever need to call customer service, you get an American that you can understand (California based I believe). Don't think twice about buying one- great products!

Andy in NY

Commander

we picked up a plasma back around xmas time... we mostly went with plasma for the cost side of it, ended up getting a 42" dynex (best buy house brand) for $495 on sale. We love it, no complaints. if we hadnt, we would have gone with a vizio.

boomer2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Vizio here too, purchased in Jan 08. 1080 42". No problems to date. Have to give it a thumbs up on quality and features for the price.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Well, I did end up buying the Vizio SV470M from Walmart. Have had it a month or so. It is a great LCD TV! It really exceeds my expectations for color, brightness, contrast and motion blur. Just like many reviews on HD forums said, minor changes to the default setup produces a much better picture. And note of the setting are set to the extremes. All are roughly within the middle "third" of the adjustment.

Was able to compare it to the RCA 40 inch my son bought a month ago that runs at 60 hz (vizio is 120hz) and there is a huge difference when watching blue ray DVD's, and even regular DVD's using the same player. The RCA contrast is less, color is as good, brightness is good, but motion blur is bad, and dark areas get blotchy. The RCA specs are not as good as the Vizio, but now I know what the difference in specs translates to when actually watching the same movie on the screens. 120 hz is worth the money.

If you want a great 47" LCD TV for about $1100 (990 at sams club) see if you can still find this model. Its worth it at a lot less than other brands of equal quality.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Good deal! Glad you like the new unit.

I didn't end up buying anything because my new ladyfriend wants to bring her HD TV over to my place since she spends more time here than at home. Suchadeal! :D