1997 Johnson 115 Not firing on 1 Cylinder

20pilot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok guys here it goes:

I was getting intermittent spark on one cylinder so this is what I did, First replaced the power pack. After that I changed all the plug wires still nothing. Then I changed the Stator and Trigger. That changed everything, now all cyclinders are firing other than 1. I am at a loss, I don't know what else it could be. All cylinders are at 145lbs. Please help im desperate.

petryshyn

Commander
Re: 1997 Johnson 115 Not firing on 1 Cylinder

swap the coils and see if the missfire follows the coil....indicating a bad coil

20pilot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The coil was just replaced and I am still having the same issue. Any other ideas? Thanks

petryshyn

Commander

How are you testing for spark?
Did you check the plug wire? A defective plug wire can leak to ground. Keep it away from any surfaces when checking for spark at its outlet....

20pilot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I put new plug wires on the motor. Then I have a spark meter that you hook from the wire to the plug to the cylinder, the other tree have spark and this cylinder does not. I thought the same thing with the wire, that maybe it was defective. So I swapped it with the other cylinder and still the same. That one cylinder is still not getting spark.

petryshyn

Commander

try connecting an old plug to the plug wire and hold the plug body to the block. Recheck for spark.

Also, disconnect all plug connectors from the pack and look for connector pins that may have been out of alignment or pushed back.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Cross flow, or looper engine? Can`t just put any kind of plug wire on the looper. Have you check the output voltages on the ignition system with a meter.