thinking of making a pontoon boat out of a catamaran

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 16' catamaran sitting here, I took it apart to work on the hulls which are pretty much pontoons and now i'm thinking it would be fun to make something out of. I have two ideas, one is simply converting the old top frame into a deck, and the other is to build a new and longer deck for the pontoons. I have a 24v. trolling motor sitting in the garage that would push it nicely around the river where I live. Has anyone ever done anything like this, or seen one converted? Any input would be amusing, lol...here's a pic of what i've got.

HOBIECAT004.jpg

south texas

Seaman Apprentice
Re: thinking of making a pontoon boat out of a catamaran

A guy in Texas has a catamaran with twin outboards on it. He says it's "custom" built. I don't know if that means it was made from a sailboat or what. I bet it's pretty fast.

If you decide to go for it, post pics. I'm interested in how it turns out.

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey South Texas...you're probably my neighbor, i'm in Arroyo City. :cool:

Jeep Man

Commander

Hey South Texas...you're probably my neighbor, i'm in Arroyo City. :cool:

Then why would you not put that info in your profile, where we ALL will know where you hail from......Sorry..pet peeve

Zeeter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Those hulls will support no if any additional weight. They are deisigned to slice the water not provide bouyancy.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

I would keep it myself, or sell it and get a pontoon. those are fast sailboats! these days who doesn't want to go fast for free?