Loss of RPM's -- '94 Sea Ray Searayder 90hp jet

cristileigh

Cadet
'94 Sea Ray Searayder 90hp Jet (3 cyl)
We purchased this boat and we didn't seem to have any problems the first 5 or 6 times we took the boat out. I was a little dissapointed in the power that this boat had, but it appeared that the boat was running ok at about 30 mph... a little slow to plane out...and on turns while pulling a tuber it seemed to lose power.
We went out to Possum Kingdom lake and the lake was really rough that day for a 14ft boat.. The boat was really eating up the gas and we had to stop at a marina on the lake to fill up. After filling up and running boat for about 5 minutes we lost 1000 RPM's and the boat would not plane out. We suspected it was spark plugs and replaced all three spark plugs and it did not help. We then suspected bad gas or water in the tank from the Marina.. We have run about 3 tanks of gasoline through the tank and checked fuel filter, and fuel lines...After reading all of these message boards and purchasing a Clymer shop manual... We started reading and looking for suspect problems. We replaced the ignition coils, spark plug wires, and spark plugs....No change in the loss of RPM's. We started looking for loose or faulty wires and found one suspect wire between the switch box and ignition coils and repaired and still no change.
Last night we did a compression test on the cylinders and this is what happened.
1st spark plug (top) reading was 135
2nd spark plug (middle) reading was 145
3rd spark plug (bottom) reading was 135
According to the Note in the Clymers manual it states
On 90 hp models, compression on the No. 1 cylinder is normally 5-10 psi less than the No. 2 cylinder. --- Ok between 1 & 2 it looks ok, but not betweeen 2 and 3 ---
It states in manual if it is 10+psi difference between 2 and 3 to add a tbl spoon of engine oil to suspect cylinder and re-test. We did this and the suspect #3 cylinder did shoot up to 145 psi... manual states that if this happens the rings are worn and must be replaced.
Ok here is my question--- Please please help...
We talked to a mechanic off of craigslist and he offered to replace the rings for $700.00 (ouch)
I researched online and found a rebuild kit for my engine rings, pistons, gaskets, bearings etc etc for $650.00 -- My husband is mechanical, just hasn't worked on boats before... and we feel that we could tackle this with my research and reading and his mechanical ability.
OR we could purchase a rebuilt engine with a warrant...
OR should we just consider this a loss??
Are we on the right track as far as the problem? What should we do? I don't have a lot of money to sink into this boat. I would really like the boat to run for my pleasure or to sell and get as much money back out of this boat as I can.
Thank for all your help!
Cristi

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bad Compression Test (Rebuild?) Sea Ray Searayder 90hp jet

Whatever your trouble is, it is not compression and your engine does not need an overhaul. Clymer is full of. . . .um. . .misinformation.

Troubleshoot your carburetion, ignition, timing, etc. to find why you seem to be losing (NOT LOOSING) power.

cristileigh

Cadet

I have been reading the boards for a few days now and have read many of your postings... I'll respect what you have to say and take another look at the items you have listed.
A few more questions:
On the second or third time out on the boat... the reverse gate fell off in the lake. It appears it was because of a worn out bolt that just broke.
Do you think this could have anything to do with the problems I am having? I would suspect that it only reverses the boat and has nothing to do with lack of power and not planing.

Also... the 3rd spark plug (suspect) keeps fouling out and has trash on it... almost like dirt but I suppose that is carbon...The fuel filter had some dirt like particles in it as well, but who knows how long that had been in there...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I can't visualize your engine's throttle control system, but check it out to see if by chance the part that usually prevents full throttle in reverse has gotten in the way when in FWD.

That fouling #3 plug suggests a carb problem with the bottom carb. . . maybe running too rich. That would reduce your power.

Good luck. :)

cristileigh

Cadet

I can't visualize your engine's throttle control system, but check it out to see if by chance the part that usually prevents full throttle in reverse has gotten in the way when in FWD.

That fouling #3 plug suggests a carb problem with the bottom carb. . . maybe running too rich. That would reduce your power.

Good luck. :)

I have a strange feeling that this reverse gate is my culprit... I'm taking off work early to take another look at this reverse gate. It has a rod that pulls the reverse gate up and down, and it was sheared off when the reverse gate fell into the lake. I'm going to take another look at it, and take it out to the lake tonight and see if I can get it to act any different.
It hasn't operated correctly since the reverse gate fell off. I had previously decided that reverse wasn't that important considering they want $250.00 for the part..These little boats turn on a dime, and reverse doesn't seem to be a big issue..UNLESS its causing me to lose power going forward :) HAHA!
I'll be back tomorrow if that doesn't work ... Thanks for your help!

henrye718

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your compression is good. Check your spark in each plug wire with a spark gap tester to be 100%

http://www.chain-auto-tools.com/electrical_auto_tools/AMB023L.htm

You can also use the spark gap tester to run the engine with a plug missing one at time to see if you can isolate a cylinder that is not running right or at all.

If the spark is good after a good testing in each, suspect something with fuel, either with the carbs or the delivery system.

Also for the hell of it inspect the engine real good for worn out stuff like crack houses or broken fallen off plastic linkage parts. Since its a pretty old engine, 15 years, the plastic and rubber parts tend to become brittle and fail. Look under the engine area for bits of things that may have broken off in the past for any hints of that happening.

G'luck.

cristileigh

Cadet

I checked the linkage to the reverse gate and it didn't seem to be related... There is an arm that lifts and drops the reverse gate and it still seemed to be working properly.
I don't have all the tools to test and tune the boat and have been trying to figure out what is wrong for several weeks now.
I'm more into being on the water, not fixing the boat HA! :)
We decided it was time to send the boat in for a tune up and diagnosis.
I'm totally amazed that I was quoted several times over the phone that a tune up would cost around $400.00. That is amazing...I should have gone to school to be a boat mechanic.
It is very helpful to talk to a few different mechanics because they always have helpful and good information.
I just wanted to share something that one of the mechanics told us and it sounds like a very good diagnosis.
We explained how we were a PK Lake and nearly ran out of gasoline and thought we had gotten some bad gas. Since then we had run several tanks of gas through. We checked the fuel lines for leaks...and checked the fuel fiter ... What we found in the fuel filter (which is a bowl and screen) was something that looked like tobacco and a little bit of greenish jelly stuff that was sticky. We kept thinking "what the ??" ... checked the carbs and they appeared ok... Well... The mechanic said that last year he had seen that 100's of times and replaced more fuel lines than oil changes. They thought that there was a rash of vandalism going on, because everyone seemed to have something strange in their fuel filters and carbs. What they discovered is that they had changed the alcohol content in the gasoline and it was breaking down the fuel lines... When the fuel lines break down it turns into a chewing tobacco consistency with this greenish syrup looking stuff and clogs up the carbuerator. Wow ya know... it could be! We decided to go ahead and take the boat to him and do a tune up and replace the fuel lines...and add an inline fuel fiter...
I wanted to share this information... if you are getting a syrup like substance in your fuel fiter... because we thought maybe someone had put something in our gas tank.
I'll update on the diagnosis of our boat when we get it out of the shop.
Thanks for the help! and thanks JB for saying my boat doesn't need a rebuild, It saved me a big headache and a lot of money!

Cristi

cristileigh

Cadet
Ethanol Fuel Attacks Outboard Engines, Inboard Engines, and Fuel Tanks

Ethanol Fuel Attacks Outboard Engines, Inboard Engines, and Fuel Tanks

"As if this isn?t bad enough, the dissolved components, styrene and polyester, make their way along with the fuel to the engine. The result is a black, gooey substance that can be found beneath the carburetor and on valves and valve guides. This often leads to valve seizure, poor running, and eventually engine failure. In some cases, repairs are not economically feasible. Ethanol may also damage plastic and rubber components such as fuel lines and filters. Fuel hose that is alcohol-resistant, such as type A1, is usually so labeled."

http://www.practical-sailor.com/tools/ethanol-fuel-and-outboard-engines.html

Sandjob

Seaman
Re: Loss of RPM's -- '94 Sea Ray Searayder 90hp jet

I'm not an expert on this engine but I can tell you that from the symptoms and the fact that 2 of my friends have had these boats I would look at the stator.

Sandjob

Seaman

Didn't realize it was solved

cristileigh

Cadet

We placed a in-line fuel filter on the gas line, cleaned the carbs, added a can of Sea Foam and some Star Tron to the gas tank... It took off and planed as if nothing had ever been wrong...

JB and the message boards helped so much...THANKS!