HELP Mercruser 165 will not get spark

Jonathan3206

Seaman
Ok I just got this boat and it wasn't running. Here is what I have done so far.

Replaced plugs and wires
Changed Oil
Removed old gas and put new gas in.
replaced the coil
replaced starter

She turns over just fine but I get no spark. I took a plug out and nothing. There is power to the coil (I cant find my volt meter but I have the light that comes on when there is power. It is on but not as strong of a light as when I put right on the battery. Is that an issue?). My thought is it is the distributor but dont know how to tell. I checked the points and there was some surface rust on the cap but after minor brushing they look ok.

Any thoughts?

Also another issue I have. The Hydraulic pump for the trim runs but it will not go up and down. I filled the pump with fluid (only took about 1/4 cup or less) and still nothing. At first I thought it was just stuck in the up position but I had someone put some downward pressure on it and nothing. If in fact I need to replace the pump and or lines is there a way to bypass the system and just lock it down? That is until I can pay for it to be replaced/fixed.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: HELP Mercruser 165 will not get spark

head up to the adults only sticky and check out the starting system troubleshooting section.

from what you have explained you need to investigate further and do some more in depth troubleshooting

should replace the points, condenser, cap, rotor, and fuel fliters, clean and tight connections on ALL electrical

Jonathan3206

Seaman

Thanks. I will go over that tomorrow morning.

Im right that the neutral safety switch would cause the starter to do nothing right?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

yes, neutral safety switch cuts power to the primary side of the slave solenoid = no starter engagement

Jonathan3206

Seaman

yes, neutral safety switch cuts power to the primary side of the slave solenoid = no starter engagement

Ok so the issue is past all of that in the Adults only section about starting.

Other that replacing the DISTRIBUTOR CAP what would be a reason for no spark when there is power to the cap? I just dont want to buy a $600+ part and it not be the issue. But If I knew that would fix it I would buy it tomorrow. I really want this boat in Lake Travis on Saturday seeing im going to my lake house for a week.

But I also need to fix the trim pump or find a way to bypass it and lock it up and down some other way. I know they made this boat without the trim but dont see how to bypass the trim now that it is on there. Any thoughts?

Jonathan3206

Seaman

Also how do I know what pitch prop to get? I want to get an extra to have on hand just in case something happens.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

my bad!!

sorry, check out the sticky on how a points ignition system works, this should give you some great info about where to start looking for issues

just need to systematically go through the ignition system, understanding how it works and the problem should reveal itself.

as far as the trim, thats another story, let's get the engine dialed in, then we can worry about that later :)

soaringhiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so the issue is past all of that in the Adults only section about starting.

Other that replacing the DISTRIBUTOR CAP what would be a reason for no spark when there is power to the cap? QUOTE]

I do not understand this question. The rotor cap only distributes high voltage charge to the plugs through the spark plug wires. The charge comes from the coil to the center post of the cap and the through the rotor to the appropriate terminal out of the cap through the wire to the plug. If the rotor is not contacting the button contact in the middle of the cap or that button is broken it should send the charge on.

Look for moisture, cracks or carbon tracing that could ground the charge before leaving the cap.

There are leads that go to the points or relucter pickups in the dist, is this what you are looking at?

If the cap is a Chevy HSI the coil is built into the cap and may be faulty, but a 12 volt lead will go to the cap in this case.

soaringhiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok that helps.

The wire that goes to the positive side of the coil is the hot lead with 12 vdc. The negative side of the coil is the lead that goes to the points and condenser.

There are several things to check here,

1) insure that you have 12 vdc to the coil
2) look at the wire from the coil to the points and condenser, make sure that this lead is not being grounded anywhere, and that the connection to both the condenser and the points is made in the insulating block that goes through the distributer and the insulator is not damaged (#12 on the drawing). If this is allowed to go to ground you will not make any spark.
3) check the condenser and look to see if it is leaking any oil, is expanded or does not look correct otherwise.
4) check the points, many times I have observed points installed incorrectly. The are that is mounted on the spring has to be insulated from ground. This is done at the pivot point, if a wire, screw or broken insulator touches the arm it will go to ground and not spark.
5) when setting the gap of the points set them when the lobe of the cam on the shaft is at its highest giving the greatest amount of separation for the points, and don't for get to put the lube on the point block.

This can all be checked by running a continuity check on the disconnected neg lead and the plate below the points, when the points are closed there sould be continuity, when open there should not.

Once this is all checked look at the rotor, there is a spring like metal strip from the center of the rotor to the far pointed end, that has to connect with the button in the center of the cap. Check the terminals under each post of the cap and make sure that they are in good shape. The rotor does not touch them, but comes close. One thing that can happen is the high energy spark can corrode the terminals and then leave a carbon trace on the actual cap that goes to the metal of the distributer, and to ground, rare but does happen.

Check the ends of your high tension leads, they should be in good shape, not burned or brittle.

Check the spark plug end of the leads and make sure there is good contact to the top of the plug and if the end of the plugs are screw on make sure they are not loose.

If every thing is ok you will have spark.

Spend some time looking at the points and dist. that is where things can go wrong.

Oh yea, grab the shaft the rotor sits on, and give it a push sideways and up and down to see that the bushings are not worn.

When installing the rotor make sure it is indexed correctly on this shaft.

good luck

Jonathan3206

Seaman

Thanks... Im going to autozone now to get a new Meter. Mine ate **** last week when I left if on the back of my bumper and drove off. Came home to find it in 9,999,999,999 pieces on the street.

Jonathan3206

Seaman

OK here is where im at.

I got a new Coil pack (I busted the bolt somehow last night, Might have been the 12+ beers). I have 12v into the coil and 12v out of the coil. Have not opened the cap yet today. Had to get to the store seeing my employee needs to get to school.

My question is does anyone know a part number for the cap that I can get at AutoZone? I will blow $15 on a cap just to have a new one.

ziggy

Admiral

just food for thought.

this is a comparison of a napa alledged marine cap and a mercruiesr cap. mercruiser on the left, napa on the right..

IMG_4559.jpg

the mercruiser cap is noteably heavier, the bosses where the contacts are is much beefier and there's more little rings around the carbon button.

i think the mercruiser cap is around $35... imho. worth the extra bread...
aftermarket didn't seem as well built as oem..

Jonathan3206

Seaman

Would happen to have the part number? I cant find anything to cross ref it. I would like to call around and find one and pick it up today if there is one in Houston.

ziggy

Admiral

i'd guess houston would have a mercruiser dealer or three. go there and tell him what you have and let him look it up. he'll know what ya need. what he might ask you is what yer serial number for your engine is though...

or

go here... http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectModels3.asp?type_id=6i
chose your s/n 165 and look up what ya need..

for mine, it's item 21. looks like it's about 25 bucks..

33765T

Jonathan3206

Seaman

Ordered it at a local shop. I have my driver picking it up for me now. It was only $16.99. Hope it fixes the problem.

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

perhaps when you got this boat, the owner did not provide a safety kill switch lanyard and the switch is keeping the boat from starting. since nothing is hangind loose, you might miss this. my switch grounds the coil.

Jonathan3206

Seaman

perhaps when you got this boat, the owner did not provide a safety kill switch lanyard and the switch is keeping the boat from starting. since nothing is hangind loose, you might miss this. my switch grounds the coil.

How would I find that? There is not a switch on the dash. Also how would this stop the dist from going seeing there is power into it? I might be wrong im not an engine guy.

Jonathan3206

Seaman

Ok here is where im at.

Replaced the Cap and that did nothing.

The Black piece that spins around and connects to the plug from the Coil looks new to me. Everything in there looks like it is in good condition.

My thought is what is the black thing that moves power from the coil to the plug wires is not touching the coil spot. I tried pushing it up alittle and turned it over and nothing.

The black wire from the dist is attached to the neg on the coil. Is that right?

Anything you can think of? Im at a loss for words. I have replaced everything that I can think of to get her to spark. Nothing...

soaringhiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes that is where the lead goes, to the neg side of the coil.

the part that goes around is the rotor, that is the one that has to contact the button in the middle of the cap.

The high tension lead from the coil, that is the big one, does go the the middle of the cap correct?