aq125a 270 volvo shift issue

85volvosunbirdman

Seaman Apprentice
Ok mine has three issues. First the guy I bought the boat from said water was in the lowwer unit oil last year. I am assuming that its the propellar shaft seal. Second, the first time I had the boat out it was going fine untill I rapidly went from 5000 rpm to idle but not nuetral. The boat slowwed untill wake pushed the back of the boat and it jumped into neutral. At the same time the boat shook front to back, I'm assuming from the neutral shift letting the prop spin free and not hold the boat going slow anymore. If I slow boat down slow this does not happen. Now third the boat is slipping out of forward and having lots of trouble getting it to go back into gear. Lots of neutral to forward tries and a little throttle seems to work. I had to drive boat quite alot like this to get home. I was four hours out and had to go through four locks. Thanks for your help in advance. Its a 1985 aq 125a with 270 volvo outdrive on a sunbird cuddie.

captmello

Captain
Re: aq125a 270 volvo shift issue

I am assuming that its the propellar shaft seal.

Not necessarily. You may need to pressure test it

Have you done any work to it since you got it?

have you checked the gear lube since returning?

some of your shifting issues could be related to the leaky drive.

Running at 5000 RPM for any extended time is hard on the drivetrain. Were you at wide open throttle?

85volvosunbirdman

Seaman Apprentice

Not necessarily. You may need to pressure test it

Have you done any work to it since you got it?

have you checked the gear lube since returning?

some of your shifting issues could be related to the leaky drive.

Running at 5000 RPM for any extended time is hard on the drivetrain. Were you at wide open throttle?

Ok pressure test. I'll just rig something up and check the leak down i assume?

I replaced a shift cable. Cleaned carb out. Thats it.

I will check gear lube tonight.

The oil in the lowwer unit is separate from the Shifting mechanism in the intermeadiate drive. How can they affect each other?

I had the boat at WOT once the first time out to check the prop. 5300 rpm. This boat will still do this even at 4000 rpm to idle. But like i said its when the wake pushes the boat and the prop gets pushed instead of the engine pushing it.

captmello

Captain

the drive shares the oil, upper, intermediate, and lower.

If the oil level is to high or low because of a leak it can effect the shifting.

Also you can look at the shift mechanism inside the shift cover on the back of the drive. Make sure the cable is shifting the drive completely into gear.

I'm still confused about your on water issues 5000-idle, Jumped into nuetral???

Could you have spun your prop Hub? Did you try a different prop?

Have you ever had the bellows off the ujoints? Needs to be replaced every two years. If you have water in the outdrive, it can be leaking in from there also.